First try with my new charcoal smoker (char-broiler silver smoker)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Buddy, I am chuckling as I read this whole thread.
icon_smile.gif

I have the exact same smoker and have been through some of the same problems. Baffle from the box into the cooking chamber, a must, and lowering the stack to grill level or 1/2 " above it actually will do wonders for you. I have learned alot from this site in just a few weeks and I am continuously amazed at the differences . The suggestions from all the good folks here will keep ya in touch with your smoker.
I would:

1. stay away from cowboy lump, especially if you have a wooden deck.the stuff is junk anyways.

2. put a rectangular pan of water in the cooking chamber, on the little short racks they give ya for the drip pans. Put it about 1/3 to 1/2 the way from the fire box entry.

Don't go by the temps of the guage they give you, if you even got one, mine didn't come with one.

I load my lumb( royal oak) from the top of the firebox, and I do it quickly so as not to lose too much heat. Have a metal pail or large coffee can to koad up the fuel, and then place it in that way.

Make sure you open the exhaust vent on the stack all the way.

3. stick with smaller pieces of cured woods for smoke, or chips in a box or foil packet. I found that burning whole logs or large splits is too much tar and soot for my type of smoker, makes food too black and bitter.

These are just my opinions, and observations for the Charbroil silver that I have been using for about 9 months now.

28 degrees here today with a 10-15 mph north wind. My smoker is all covered up like a coffin in plywood to keep it warm.
wink.gif

I just got a Char Broil Silver smoker right before Thanksgiving. I'm glad I came across this thread as I have had a little bit of difficulty maintaining a constant temp.

Can somebody post a picture of the heat shield or flashing in the fire box? I can't quite wrap my mind around the concept.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky