FIRST TIME SMOKED VENISON/PORK SUMMER SAUSAGE HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spangler2k3

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Hello gang,

i have a OBS and bought a package of jalepeno summer sausage by Hi Mountain to try with last years deer and some pork. I may have made a huge boo boo but help me out if you dont mind.. after mixing and following the directions to a T here is what happenend during the smoking process

6:00pm -- 1 hour at 140 degrees to dry the sausage to the touch

7:00pm --1 hour with hickory smoke at 160 degrees

7:30pm-- 30 minutes with hickory smoke at 180 degrees

8:00pm insert digital temp probe in the center of the sausage and crank to 200. (roughly 3"x20" long)

from 8:00 til 12:00 (mignight 4 hours) it went from 125IT to 130ish in the first hour and it stalled for the remaining 3 hours.

i removed from the smoker, and threw them in the refrigerator.

so are they ruined?

can i cut them up into patties and fry them?

can i eat them since it was 130IT for 2 to 3 hours?

suggestions maybe i can do something in the oven to "make sure"

i dont want to mess up the next batch so im going to do a small one next.

thanks in advance for the advice

Chris

Last edited:
I'm no expert but the cure in the mix should have kept them safe.  I would think either poaching or in the oven till they reach 165 IT and they should still be fine.  I did some last weekend and had them in the smoker for 14 hours before they reached 165 IT.

that makes me feel a little better about the situation.. i apparently had too much in the cabinet at once with a combo of not leaving them in long enough.

i will probe one in the oven until it reaches that point and see how it ends up

thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky