First Time Dry Aging Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, yes and yes to the standing/stagnant water.

I age mine at closer to 35f so more in the 2c range and it's in a circulated air refrigerator so I get a bit of extra case hardening but no stale air.

But this is if the meat was sitting in the water. I have a hard time believing the inner portions of the roast would be affected by the water.

Just gotta ask, did you trim off the outsides before you ate the roast?

The meat was not sittin in the water. The meat was on a seperate shelf on a wire rack.

And yes i trimmed the outside off b4 i attempted to eat. I spoke to the people i bought the bags from who dry age quite a bit. They seem to think it was possibly a bad/off bit of meat (before i dry aged).

Hey Ray.... This is an UMAI recipe.....

Note the insta cure #2 requirement.....
Where did you get your information from ????

https://www.drybagsteak.com/recipe-charcuterie-capicola.php

I know that Dave, it's the exact same thing I ordered from UMAi. Simmo isn't dry aging a coppa, or lonzino, or prosciutto that require cure #2. If you read his post it states he's dry aging the primal cut, then cutting the primal cut into steaks, and then cooking them. He's dry aging a roast for steaks, it's not charcuterie. I couldn't figure out why you were posting all that stuff pertaining to charcuterie when Simmo's post has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess you didn't understand what I posted either. Do you know the difference between dry aging a standing rib roast in a UMAi bag for 28 to 45 days to enhance it's flavor (no cure), and dry aging charcuterie (cure needed)? I do. RAY

Hey Ray.... Thanks for the explanation... I wasn't sure what was happening...
Anywho, for folks that needed to know about dry aging, charcuterie etc. there sure is a wealth of information in Simmo's thread now...

No problem Dave, just a semantics mix up. I think Simmo might be able to get better feedback about his situation here, the UMAi Dry Steak Bag forum. I used it to learn about their product, covers dry aging, and charcuterie.

https://www.drybagsteak.com/forum

While I will continue to use UMAi bags for my charcuterie efforts I'm done dry aging primal cuts (standing rib roasts). I don't notice where the difference in the flavor of the dry aged steak is that much to warrant the time, expense, and fridge space it takes. I've been to a couple of chop houses where their dry aged steaks turned out to have a lot more flavor that what I was able to accomplish with the UMAi bag.

If posting the link to that dry steak bag forum was in any way a violation of this site I apologize, and the Powers That Be should feel free to delete it. RAY

I dry age steaks etc. by wrapping in cheese cloth.. Then coat the pellicle with lard and vac pack to soften the pellicle... Works well for me..
Next batch I will try the peach butcher paper... or collagen sheets... or both as a double layer..

Maybe someone tried these dry age bags www.dryagedbags.com looks very good. I'm thinking of giving them to my friend who is aging the meat.
Very nice packaging

front-g.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky