First Smoke this weekend!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rmpflyfish

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Picked up my GOSM yesterday and seasoned it tonight
biggrin.gif
. I'm planning some Baby Backs (thinking of using the 2-2-1 method w/hickory & oak). I'm also planning some ABT's and a fattie (maybe even some homemade venison sausage). I know, it seems like an awful lot for a newbie, but what the heck.... I have read through the posts for quite a while and picked up a lot of tips, but any advice/thoughts would be welcome...

Thanks,
RMP...

RMP - it's never too much as long as you're prepared, which it appears as you are! Sounds like a delicious menu for the holiday weekend. May you have TBS throughout your smoke!

Thanks... I'll get some photo's and try to figure out the whole posting pic's thing. Any comments on my planned 2-2-1 method for the baby backs? Good idea? More/Less time?....

RMP....

Ahhh . . . your first smoke . . . I remember my first smoke like it was yesterday. Actually it was 2-1/2 months ago but anyway . . .

Your plan sounds good to me. So does the menu. 2-2-1 method sounds like a good idea but remember it is a guideline -- not a hard fast rule. Ribs -- or so I have read -- are a look and feel kind of thing -- look for pullback on the bones and bend in the rack when you lift it. I don't have enough experience to be any more specific than that but I am sure others will chime in. Hopefully someone could post some pics of the proper amount of bend to go to stage two and pullback to go to stage 3. I'll be trying some babybacks for the first time this weekend myself.

Have fun and enjoy your food.

Dave

Everyones smoker is different, I use the 2.5-1.5-1 for mine bb's and spares. If I foil them too long, they just get too moist(like steamed).

You will just have to try it a few times and see what works for you.

221 is how I did mine the first time I tried and they were better than any I've had in a BBQ joint (my biased opinion). Just dont forget to remove the membrane on the back. Use mustard to hold the rub for good bark.

Look forward to hearing how it went.

Good luck on the big smoke. Just a few last minute pointers. (I am sure you already know). Don't rush the smoke, low and slow. And thin blue smoke, if you can't see it but smell it, you are still smokin.
Looking forward to the pics.
Andy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky