First smoke on the BellFab

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see. My damper is not tight. I talked to Craig and he said it is welded so I can't do anything ti tighten it. I have been using the ash dump to moderate temps, but I agree it would be a better coal bed w/o the grates. Maybe Jake will tell us his technique.
I don't really have any secrets to how I do it. I just dump a chimney of lit coals on the grate and load up 3 splits and let it roll from there

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I recently put a charcoal basket in my Bellfab offset. I originally bought it for my PK360 but hated it in that grill because I think it blocked airflow. In the offset it works great. I just put a chimney of lump in the basket and a couple of splits on top and I'm good to go. My smoker runs pretty hot no matter what I do. I'm just adjusting my cooking since it will consistently run 300 with minimal fuel but it always burns a clean fire.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I recently put a charcoal basket in my Bellfab offset. I originally bought it for my PK360 but hated it in that grill because I think it blocked airflow. In the offset it works great. I just put a chimney of lump in the basket and a couple of splits on top and I'm good to go. My smoker runs pretty hot no matter what I do. I'm just adjusting my cooking since it will consistently run 300 with minimal fuel but it always burns a clean fire.
Can we see the pit?

Here you go
9A0A7148-F7E3-4195-82E5-D03194F73FD9.jpeg
84F2759B-BB47-42B1-BCEA-101592250FD3.jpeg

Your ash dump seems to not be flush with the bottom of the firebox just like mine. My grease drain in the cook chamber is the same way. I think I'm going to get a grinder to grind down at least the lip on the grease drain. It just doesn't drain, naturally, due to the lip shown in the pic attached. Also a pic of my ash dump lip.

I see your a righty lol. My firebox is on the left.

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

Still having a lot of trouble getting even temps in this thing. Right said is always 30-40 degrees warmer than the left. Crated a bigger gap on the left with the tuning plates and it seems worse. Very frustrating.

I imagine I will figure it out one of these days, maybe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky