First smoke on the BellFab

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BenCarlson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
Finally have been able to get the BellFab out of my garage now that the snow is finally gone and the ground dry enough to move it across my yard. I've done some chicken and jerky in it but this was my first extended cook. Took about 9 hours to do this shoulder and I absolutely loved every minute of it. Came out so good my Mother even raved about it. She's had a lot of food with dirty smoke and has never cared for smoked food before this so that made me feel good. My better half even looked at me and said, "If I knew it could make food this good I would have said yes sooner!"

I guess you guys don't need told that even us fellas have good ideas from time to time 😂

Thanks for all the tips and knowledge you guys provide here, I love this co

Attachments

• Snapchat-903887407.jpg
    Snapchat-903887407.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Snapchat-1486312060.jpg
    Snapchat-1486312060.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Snapchat-512158771.jpg
    Snapchat-512158771.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 77
  • Snapchat-1490866322.jpg
    Snapchat-1490866322.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 84
It looks good congrats on the first of hopefully many great smokes on that Bell Fab

Thanks for the replies, gents! I really love this Bell Fab rig. I'm surprised they aren't more popular around here for the price.

Congrats on your new smoker. I went all in and did a brisket on my recently acquired Bell Fab smoker. Turned out really good. The temp got away from me briefly at the beginning but once I had everything dialed in it held at the temp I wanted. Really happy with the smoker and agree for the money they are hard to beat. Solidly built and perform well.

Thanks and congrats to you as well, sir! I have a brisket and a package of spare ribs in the freezer that will get on in the coming weeks.

I still haven't gotten to use the bars Craig fabricated for me to hang sausage from, which was my only customization to the smoker, but that'll also be remedied in the upcoming weeks as I pick up some back fat from my butcher today.

I couldn't agree more about the smoker holding temps. It almost made it seem easier than I was expecting it to go. Then again I was probably in my own head about that, haha.

Nice! Congratulations on the new smoker! I am absolutely in love with mine.

Nice! Congratulations on the new smoker! I am absolutely in love with mine.
Thank you. Got it last Fall but with work schedules, etc., hadn't been able to pull it out until now.

What temp gauges do you use on yours? I had Craig make. atoning plate but I think it probably is not needed.

Okay thanks. My gauges read about 40-50 degrees lower than my Inkbird IBBQ-4T, however, I just figured out I was using those probes incorrectly. I'll do a boiling water check on my analog gauges.

So i tried using the grates for the first time yesterday, per Jake's recommendation. Absolutely hated it. Will NEVER use them again
Does yours have the ash dump? Do you use it to help moderate temps in the chamber?

I have an ash dump, but don't use it to moderate the temps. The air intake is plenty big to burn a clean fire. I moderate temps by adding or not adding wood. Too much lump fell through the grates to get the wood ignited properly. Maybe I did it wrong but I hated the grates

I have an ash dump, but don't use it to moderate the temps. The air intake is plenty big to burn a clean fire. I moderate temps by adding or not adding wood. Too much lump fell through the grates to get the wood ignited properly. Maybe I did it wrong but I hated the grates
I see. My damper is not tight. I talked to Craig and he said it is welded so I can't do anything ti tighten it. I have been using the ash dump to moderate temps, but I agree it would be a better coal bed w/o the grates. Maybe Jake will tell us his technique.

You have the big grate with the expanded metal grate that sits on top of it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky