First day of Trout season haul!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GentlemanJerk

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2018
Bellefonte, PA
With the first day of trout season opening last weekend I was able to get out with my dad and we came back with a small haul of 5 rainbow trout. We cleaned them up and I took them home to brine and then smoke with alder and hickory. As a side experiment I took the heads, cleaned out the gills, salted them and let them sit for 20 minutes, and rinsed them. They then went into a pot of boiling water to simmer for 20-30 minutes and bam! Fresh fish stock!

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 148
Nice! They look like stocked fish...all the same size.

They are all stockies, most rainbows are. The local fish hatcheries stock a handful of the small lakes and streams in the area before and after the opening day of trout season. We started in a small lake and caught all of the above, then hit a few streams and didn't catch anything. I hooked one small brook trout and the willy fish shook my spinner loose.

I keep admiring her fish and her smile is so infectious... Making my Monday.

Danged fine Brookie.
Seriously! She's caught a catfish bigger than that before, but this one was her biggest fish in Montana, and her first big fish in 3 or so years.

That smile was still on when she went to bed. Love that kid.

These we're actually rainbows. Freakin' huge rainbows...

My youngest wasn't having much luck on the end of her pole, but something tells me she didn't let it get her down:

Last edited:
They are all stockies, most rainbows are. The local fish hatcheries stock a handful of the small lakes and streams in the area before and after the opening day of trout season. We started in a small lake and caught all of the above, then hit a few streams and didn't catch anything. I hooked one small brook trout and the willy fish shook my spinner loose.

Hey Neighbor!!
Nice Job on the Pennsy' "Bows".----Like.
You're bringing back memories---When I started PA Trout Fishing, the season opened at 5 AM, instead of 8 AM, and the daily limit was 8, instead of 5, but that was 65 years ago. I always got my feet wet, because I didn't get my first Hip Boots until I was 8 years old. Dang, that water was cold!!!!

Bear

Reactions: GentlemanJerk
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky