First Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blues1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Only 3 1/2 lb but took 11 1/2 hrs, but it was right on! Dry brined overnight and put on at 9:00 this morning. 225 until internal was 170 then wrapped & bumped temp up to 275. Pulled it at 204 and let it rest...some. Could've let it rest a little longer but I had smelled this thing all day. Couldn't resist...
Hassleback potatoes with it. I can't get the timing right on them. Thought sure they would be done but not all the way. May start them with the meat next time. Chuck Roast.JPG

Nice looking slab of beef there, good job. It's truly amazing how long they take to get done sometimes. I hear you on the taters, never had one that was overcooked. RAY

That looks excellent.

Was going to try a couple Hassleback today,on RT. 325° should be done in a couple hrs correct ?

That looks excellent.

Was going to try a couple Hassleback today,on RT. 325° should be done in a couple hrs correct ?

Actually, they were on for 2 hrs plus and still weren't done. Finally put in the microwave to finish off. They had already taken smoke flavor, so still good

Reactions: Winterrider
Wow 11 hours..was gonna do one guess I'll stick to the crock pot for chucks

Yep, planned on eating around 6 but didn't get too, until 9. Worth the wait though. Looks like I'd learn and plan for longer but seems I never do...

Reactions: negolien
Looks great . I've had them take longer than that . Sometimes they just don't want to get tender or to temp , but like you said well worth the wait . Nice work .

That looks so good!
What did you use to dry brine?

I used Thundering Longhorn by "Fire & Smoke Society." Had never used it before. A great blend...coarse black pepper, cumin, ancho chile, expresso, oregano, garlic and salt. I went a little heavy but won't next time. Was a little salty. Very flavorful.

Reactions: Dunstablegrizzly
Nice job Steve, love that smoke ring the Rec Tec puts on stuff.

What kind of pellets?

LIKE!

John
Thanks, John. Still on the RecTec pellets that came with the smoker. Got a couple of bags yet. Want to try Lumberjack. I understand Lumberjack makes the pellets for RecTec. Going to get plain hickory and maybe one more. Don't know that my taste buds will be able to tell the difference, but gonna try anyway. RecTec is only an hour from me, so I can pick them up.

Posted this back in December...

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky