First butt -MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Captain91

Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Calgary, AB - CAN
Hey all, bought an MES 30 a couple months back and am finally giving it a go today on a pork butt. I’m having a heck of a time keeping a temperature range that seems acceptable.

I have an Amazen tray setup on the bottom and chip loader out so it gets plenty of oxygen to smoke. I have a Weber digital probe (one ambient and one in meat), I had it between 220 and 230 ambient temp for a good half hour while warming it up, popped in the butt quickly (door open 3 seconds tops) and my temperatures are swinging from 210-240 now. Is this normal after placing meat in? It’s been 2 hours now and no signs of it coming back to my average 220 temp. Any help would be appreciated to this new guy that doesn’t know a thing.

So ... first, relax. Pork butt is a very forgiving cut of meat.

Unless you want this butt for supper. Then put it in the oven at 350F.

What's happening outside? Windy? Cold?

Did you pull the chip tray out about an inch? IIRC that's what they recommend.

What was the butt temp when you pushed it in? If you came out of the fridge you put a very cold thermal load in the smoker.

MES smokers have on/off control, so some oscillation is normal. If you're swinging between 210 - 240, your average temp should be around 225, which is generally accepted smoking temp. As you're not swinging between 100 and 300, I'd not worry too much.

At this time you might want to keep an eye on things, but you've got another 13 hours or so to go, so there's plenty of time to panic.

Do yo plan to braise when you hit the stall?

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Yes, those swings are normal. They will become less as the meat heats. The temp will be more steady at about 4 hours in. You are looking for the Average temp to be around your setpoint...JJ

Good point, I hadn’t even thought about initial meat temp. It was 50° when I put it in, up to 140° now.
Chip tray is pulled out entirely, didn't realize it should be in partly, it’s about 50° outside with light breeze. I’ve gone into this with little to no research, figured when it stalled I’d just wait it out and see if it pushes through, if not I was going to try wrapping it. Its only 4lb so I calculated a rough 7 hrs to smoke.

thanks for the votes of confidence, I had no clue what an acceptable swing would be, I figured only 5-10° each way.

Done many a butts in my MES30.You're fine.....its all about finish IT temp.Like others have said pork butt is very forgiving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky