First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgravs

Original poster
Dec 17, 2020
I picked up a MES about a month ago and am smoking my first brisket tomorrow. I've read a lot of tips on here as far as hours and temps etc. Also smoking for x amount of hours then wrapping in butcher paper and smoking some more. The problem I have is I cant find any butcher paper locally. Can I use parchment paper instead?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF! And congrats on the new MES.

I always try to wrap in butcher paper, but in a pinch I have wrapped in foil alone. Foil holds in the moisture and does affect the bark.

I have never tried using parchment paper, but according to this article, can be used. It, like foil, is less permeable and will hold in more moisture than butcher paper. Maybe others have experience.

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs Parchment Paper. Which is the Best? (goshindig.com)

Good luck tomorrow and don't forget posting pics on how it goes. We are always interested and there are definitely a lot of folk on here willing to help out and share their experiences.

Wrapping helps reduce overall cook time but there are a lot of guys who don't wrap and never will.
I'm a never too much bark kind of guy so not wrapping makes a lot of sense to me.
When I wrap it's to hurry the process along.

Reactions: JLeonard
Can I use parchment paper instead?
I'd say run it without a wrap and factor in an extra few hours, my last stall was 5 hours on a 14lb packer at 225. I've never wrapped with parchment, but they feel and look different.

A non-obvious place to look for butcher paper is Ace Hardware, some of them have really good BBQ departments.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going with a no wrap. I've had it spiced up in the fridge since Wednesday. Put it on at 6 this a.m. at 275 with some mesquite chips. Now we hope and pray....

Reactions: joetee
Here's a few pics. It came out great. Thanks again for all the tips.

Attachments

• IMG_20210101_161742926.jpg
    IMG_20210101_161742926.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210101_154435243.jpg
    IMG_20210101_154435243.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 25
Can I use parchment paper instead?
Yes and no. Theres a version treated with silicone you do not want. The other version is ok, sorta in between butcher paper and foil regarding heat and moisture retention.

Reactions: bgravs
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky