First brisket on akorn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevntri

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Rockford,IL
First brisket questions...
I searched but didn't find any basic answers.
How much of the fat cap do I trim?
For burnt ends....
Do I cube up the point and high heat them

Thanks in advance....

It's like 13 pounds? Whole one? People leave a layer 1/8 or 1/4 inch at least.. Some don't trim much. All that hard fat that's real tuff in a couple places, you can carefully trim off.
Peel off the silver skin stuff good.. it's like elastic and your seasoning won't get past that. Next person can add more.. Hope it works out..

Last edited:
I did my burnt ends a couple times on the next day. I cut up cubes and put them in aluminum pan and put some basic extra dry rub sprinkled and some bbq sauce on them. Then smoked for like 3 hours low 225 .. you can also heat the burnt ends in a big frying pan for a few after you smoke them a while. Get them more sticky and caramelized if you want.

Yes sir ...

thinking 225* with apple chunks mixed in with lump wood coal.

Now to throw a wrench into the mix....

Need to plate around 5:30pm on Sat. (so thinking overnighter)

80% chance of rain with possible severe storms.....

This will be a fun challenge. I have a pop up canopy... (now just how to tie it down really good) LOL

Last edited:
Well you can do it any time you want Friday late .. allowing 12 to 16 hours to cook.. you can take it off after it's 160 and wrap it in foil with a bit of beef broth to finish on the grill or oven at higher temps. Say 300. Till it's nice and soft at about 205. Rest is gonna be a few minutes open foil to get it to stop cooking and rewrap to hold it another couple and up to 4 hours in a cooler with some towels under and over.. it will stay nice and hot. At what point you want to chop up your burnt end cubes is a tricky one. Couple hours before people eat you can start.. leave those for after or the end of dinner maybe. Put your other piece of meat back in foil to hold in the cooler while burnt ends finish.. plan that all and adjust your times by using the oven to help too.. reduced cooler hold or increase will help gauge dinner time also

Last edited:
Started it around
6:30 pm.... In the rain under my canopy (kinda fun)
Hit first stall at 161 around 11pm
Now 2:30am and we are still in the rain and hitting second stall at 167....
Decided not to wrap til after the stall.
Then at probe tender in the flat I'm gonna seperate, foil and rest it and throw the point back on for burnt ends

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky