First brisket. Ever.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevebc

Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Michigan
Well, this is an evening of firsts for me: The first first is that this is the first time I have posted on this esteemed forum. Second, I am preparing to do my first ever brisket. Ever. I have a 9 lb whole packer, that I have trimmed of excess fat, and seasoned with a rub. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will be putting it on the smoker. I will make follow up posts, with pictures, as things progress. Although I have gotten pork ribs down, and pulled pork, this is my first step into serious, brisket barbecue. I ask for your prayers and positive thoughts! Wish me luck!

I must make a correction. I stated originally that this is my first post to this forum. I just reviewed things, and it seems I HAVE posted here before. I blame the very good Kentucky bourbon in the glass in front of me for that error. However... I am most definitely doing my first brisket.

Welcome Steve. Good luck on the brisket. 9 lbs is pretty small for a whole packer. I am assuming that is the trimmed weight? Just curious.

Reactions: stevebc
Yes, it is pretty small. I am not too experienced in Briskets. All I can say is my regional grocery had a sale on CAB brisket, for $4 a pound. The one I am doing was 8.xx pounds (sorry, I already threw away the packing.) I trimmed off a pretty fair amount of fat when I seasoned it. I trimmed off the fat, and coated with a rub, and plan to start it early (for me) tomorrrow, before I start work.

The brisket went in at 6am. It was too dark for a true "before" pic, but here is one after 1 hour of smoking. The internal temp got up to just shy of 160, so I wrapped it in foil and put it back on. So far, seems to be going good. More updates to come.........

Attachments

• brisket at 1 hour.jpg
    brisket at 1 hour.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 14
And it is done! It only took 5.5 hours total for my little brisket to hit 203. Probed it in several spots, and decided it was ready to pull. Wrapped it up good and let it sit for an hour. I must say I am very satisfied. Deep brown color, very moist, and tender... "like buttah".
IMG_20210901_122659.jpg IMG_20210901_122752.jpg

Wow!! Very Nicely Done!!! Beautiful smoke ring too😊👍👍. What smoker did you use?

Thanks! I am rather pleased with how it turned out. Needless to say, we are having BBQ tomorrow for dinner! I have a ZGrill pellet grill, with hickory pellets. I just got it this spring, and have been very happy with it.

Reactions: ConrodM
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky