Finished Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackhawk19

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 20, 2007
Troy AL
I finished my Mods today and will cure it this afternoon and smoke a butt
Monday. I drilled a hole in the side put a nylon push bushing to run the
thermometer lead thru so I don't have to fit it thru the door

Put a new thermometer that reads degrees

and built a vent for the top out of .025 aluminum

Good job! That'll do it! Nice color too mines just black (except for the rust spots).

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Agreed. It looks sharp. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of it!

Ditto. I'm interested to see how your lid temp. is vs. the actual grate temp. A 265° dome temp. in a WSM is about perfect. Just curious to see if it is the same is all. Again, great job on the mods Blackhawk.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'll let you know Monday how it does, I found out curing this afternoon
that it doesn't take much charcoal. Put a chimney in it and the temp went
to 600 right away, it took an hour with the door open and the vent open
before I could keep it around 300. I'm learnin
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

David

Got it at Lowe,s for $44.99. I like it because you can separate it at the
charcoal box.

Blackhawk:

"Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your HONOR. "

No truer words have been spoken in years !

good luck on the smoke

Blackhawk, great mods. To help control your temps for smoking, do a forum search for "Minion Method". The other mod I did to my ECB was to build a round charcoal basket that sits in the fire pan. The basket has 1 inch legs on it to allow for better air circulation. I'd take pic's and post 'em but my daughter has it.

Did another test burn today with the Minion Method, was able to keep it
around 300, this afternoon I will put another vent Mod in the top and tomorrow when I do my first smoke I will use less charcoal and watch
it close because I've got the time. I don't do anything Monday to Friday
and then I rest Sat and Sunday
icon_cool.gif

I sprayed the insides with Pam, built a fire and ran it at about 300° for two hours. It needs to be done to get any chemicals or residue left over from manufacturing . You're basically cleaning it real good before you put your food in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky