Finally found some thick bellies!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Went to Costco with my Uncle yesterday. They had 2 bellies left in the meat case and both were over 2" thick. I grabbed them both...price was good too; $3.69/#.
IMG_20220206_123723.jpg

IMG_20220206_123730.jpg

IMG_20220206_125632.jpg

That stainless tray is about 4" high. I put the salt box there as a reference. The bellies are right near the top of the tray.
IMG_20220206_125619.jpg

Got them in the cure now, along with a belly I pulled from the freezer. No room in the Stainless tray for all of them so I have the belly from the freezer in a 2 gallon ziplock bag. In 2 weeks I'll be cold smoking 30# of bacon!

Great find Keith. I always look for the thickest and largest bellies in the case and like you, I do them 3 at a time. Takes a while to slice and vac seal it all but well worth the effort.

Robert

Nice! I was at my local business Costco yesterday. They had skin-on and skin-off for the same price, $3.49 lb. That's a little unusual.

Sounds good , everyone is happy on bacon day. Nice score with the bellies

David
Thanks David. I was a little too excited when I found them...LOL!!

Gonna be good! And a good price also!

Ryan
Thanks Broken.

Excellent! Nice find.
Thanks SE!

Awesome, that’s gonna be some good eats!
Thanks WHB!

Great find Keith. I always look for the thickest and largest bellies in the case and like you, I do them 3 at a time. Takes a while to slice and vac seal it all but well worth the effort.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I like to cold smoke my bacon so that limits me to the colder months. Time is running out and I needed to get some bacon made so I jumped on them when I saw them. Timing is good...I'll be done with deer processing day and the big run of smoke sausage afterwards by the time the bellies are cured.

Nice! I was at my local business Costco yesterday. They had skin-on and skin-off for the same price, $3.49 lb. That's a little unusual.
Thanks mneeley. That is weird same price skin on or off.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Tonight is the first night of cold smoke on the bacon. I let them cure in the fridge a few extra days....won't hurt them....because a cold front stalled just north of us. It had been highs in the 80's (Baton Rouge set a record of 85*F Weds.) with over night lows in the high 60's. I was wearing shorts and even turned the A/C on one day while cooking in the kitchen! LOL! Anyways, tonight lows in the 40's and will stay like that for the next 5-6 nights so perfect for cold smoking bacon.
I am using daveomak daveomak 's pellet dust in the Amazn tube. Using 60% hickory and 40% apple pellets. Should get 10-12 hour burn with the tube packed tight. Nice thin clean blue smoke.....pics. tomorrow.....gonna cold smoke 4 nights.

Looking forward to the pics

IDS, Lucky man, around here there are no costco/kirklands and a pound on pork belly is about 8 bucks ! :(

IDS, Lucky man, around here there are no costco/kirklands and a pound on pork belly is about 8 bucks ! :(
Damn! That's rather high! I can get berkshire belly at my farm to table butcher shop for $7.50/#...If you lived closer, I'd share with ya.....

Including the 10# of wild hog bacon I made earlier this year, all in I'll have 40# put up for the year.

Reactions: crazymoon
Man I would love to raid your freezer! Got to be lots of goodies in there.
HA! I have 4 freezers!!!! All full. The chest freezer outside has unprocessed meats-goose, wild hog, and domestic hog. Stay tuned,,,more stuff to come.

Looking forward to the pics
I'll go snap a pic.... I just sprayed the bellies down with K+ Sorbate.

Pics of the pork bellies please! Be careful what you ask for Jerry...some of us are not getting any thinner...Inda might post up pics of porker bellies! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
HA!

It's a good thing these bellies were skin off, and my maturing chamber is full.....otherwise I likely would have made pancetta with one of them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky