Fermented okra advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
My family loves (refrigerator ) picked okra and fermented vegetables. A successful fermented okra has eluded us though.
Both times we have done a simple 2% brine and the result is slimy. Like the brine turns into half way to being snot. We ended up throwing both out.
Had anyone fermented okra and been happy with the result?

Reactions: JLeonard
Are you fermenting them whole? Also how long are you fermenting them? I've never tried doing them so now curious. I have a big batch of green beans going now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nefarious
Are you fermenting them whole? Also how long are you fermenting them? I've never tried doing them so now curious. I have a big batch of green beans going now.
I have never fermented okra either. When okra is cooked it always comes out slimy. I wonder if fermenting draws out the slime during the process. Is it possible the brine solution needs to be a higher salt solution as well? Perhaps 3 - 4%?

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
It's been about 2 years, but I think we split the tips on one to try to get the brine inside. The other we left whole I think.
I have never fermented okra either. When okra is cooked it always comes out slimy. I wonder if fermenting draws out the slime during the process. Is it possible the brine solution needs to be a higher salt solution as well? Perhaps 3 - 4%?
I happen to like the texture of cooked okra, so when I say slimy, I really mean it was intense. Not only inside the okra, but all the brine as well.

A stronger brine might help. I had also thought and adding some sugar to help get the acidity up faster. Not sure if either of these would help. We have okra, but not so much so that I'm willing to waste any on experimentation.

Now if someone wants some zucchini experiments run....lol.

I've pickled them before. Looked into fermenting them. But haven't done so yet. Did you know what the PH was? Are you using filtered/chlorine free water? From what I understand is you should leave the stem intact. Or they will get slimy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
I've pickled them before. Looked into fermenting them. But haven't done so yet. Did you know what the PH was? Are you using filtered/chlorine free water? From what I understand is you should leave the stem intact. Or they will get slimy.
I don't this was a few years before I got a pH meter. Use well water for all ferments.
We definitely left the stem intact.

Just harvested at least 2 pint jars, they are kicking it into gear. Maybe I'll just give it another go soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky