4th of July Brisket (My 2nd Attempt at Brisket)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MrFrost

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 5, 2017
Suburb of Chicago
Had a prime brisket for my second try at brisket. The first go went well, everyone enjoyed it, but I knew it could be improved on. On the first attempt I tried a rub that I personally ended up not caring for, so for this second one, I decided to go with a more (Texas) traditional style, even though I'm from Illinois, lol, and did just SPG. Hands down, my favorite simple seasoning choice now. I am sure that I still made mistakes, and I am sure my method would differ from others, but the end result was the best brisket I have personally ever tasted, albeit I am a little biased.

Started with a 12.90lb prime brisket from Sam's Club (Member's Mark).

IMG_2929JPEG.jpg

Thawed it in the refrigerator for about five days since I had purchased it in May and froze it. Then got it all rubbed up with Lane's SPG.

IMG_2932JPEG.jpg

After letting it rest in the fridge for a few hours it was time to throw it on the Pit Boss (pellet pooper) at 3pm CST on July 3rd. I favor a longer cook/smoke, so I ran the pellet pooper at 180 degrees with Pit Boss's Competition Blend pellets.

IMG_3013JPG.jpg

Went to bed around 10pm after topping off the hopper, and woke up around 4am, again, topped off the hopper, but in all honesty, the Pit Boss burns pellets incredibly efficiently at 180 degrees, so it was never even half empty, but it is a 32 pound hopper. I should note, at 4am had an IT of 145 degrees, and by 6am it was still stalled, so since the bark had formed to my (rookie) liking, I decided it was time to wrap. With some of the tallow poured on it of course!

IMG_3017JPG.jpg

From wrapped I did bring the pit up in temp, first to 250, then finally to 325. Pulled it with an IT of 205, once it was probe tender all around, then let it rest for almost an hour, then it went into the cooler for three hours.

rsz_img_3028.jpg

Unwrapped it in my Drip EZ XL, love that thing.

IMG_3030JPEG.jpg

Then separated the flat from the point and sliced.

IMG_3033JPEG.jpg

Then we ate, and either my family was blowin' smoke up my smoke stack, or they all really enjoyed it. I know I did! All of my choices, and methods followed came from taking in all the knowledge shared here, so I appreciate this forum.

*Edited to add total cook time approached 21 hours. Put it on at 3pm July 3rd, pulled to rest at almost noon on the 4th.

You've got it figured out, excellent looking brisket! Did you use a grate probe that could set off an alarm if the temp were to drop?

Reactions: MrFrost
You've got it figured out, excellent looking brisket! Did you use a grate probe that could set off an alarm if the temp were to drop?

The model Pit Boss I have has one built in, and it's connected via Wi-Fi, which has proven to be incredibly reliable to me. Initially, there was some slight variation in temp between the built in probe, which is on the far left of the cook chamber, and where I like to place my protein, on the top rack in the middle, but I purchased and added a flame tamer, and air gap mod designed specifically for these Pit Boss's that actually has gotten the built in probe to be within five degrees of where I placed my brisket, verified with an analog oven thermometer.

Hmm... so if the smoker had dropped below 180º in the night would an alarm go off with enough volume to wake you ?

Hmm... so if the smoker had dropped below 180º in the night would an alarm go off with enough volume to wake you ?

My phone notifications using the Pit Boss app, but of course I am putting my trust in technology, and it could absolutely lead me to a wasted cook one day, but the whole reason I went the pellet pooper route was to basically have "set it and forget it."

Ok, but be weary of the 'set it and forget it' concept. There have been way too many threads here from pellet poopers and other types, of their smoker dying in the middle of the night. Best way is a third party reporting grate based probe that actually sounds an alarm (not just a notification) on the phone by the bed. Glad your brisket turned out so great!

Had a prime brisket for my second try at brisket. The first go went well, everyone enjoyed it, but I knew it could be improved on. On the first attempt I tried a rub that I personally ended up not caring for, so for this second one, I decided to go with a more (Texas) traditional style, even though I'm from Illinois, lol, and did just SPG. Hands down, my favorite simple seasoning choice now. I am sure that I still made mistakes, and I am sure my method would differ from others, but the end result was the best brisket I have personally ever tasted, albeit I am a little biased.

Started with a 12.90lb prime brisket from Sam's Club (Member's Mark).

View attachment 669720

Thawed it in the refrigerator for about five days since I had purchased it in May and froze it. Then got it all rubbed up with Lane's SPG.

View attachment 669722

After letting it rest in the fridge for a few hours it was time to throw it on the Pit Boss (pellet pooper) at 3pm CST on July 3rd. I favor a longer cook/smoke, so I ran the pellet pooper at 180 degrees with Pit Boss's Competition Blend pellets.

View attachment 669723

Went to bed around 10pm after topping off the hopper, and woke up around 4am, again, topped off the hopper, but in all honesty, the Pit Boss burns pellets incredibly efficiently at 180 degrees, so it was never even half empty, but it is a 32 pound hopper. I should note, at 4am had an IT of 145 degrees, and by 6am it was still stalled, so since the bark had formed to my (rookie) liking, I decided it was time to wrap. With some of the tallow poured on it of course!

View attachment 669724

From wrapped I did bring the pit up in temp, first to 250, then finally to 325. Pulled it with an IT of 205, once it was probe tender all around, then let it rest for almost an hour, then it went into the cooler for three hours.

View attachment 669728

Unwrapped it in my Drip EZ XL, love that thing.

View attachment 669726

Then separated the flat from the point and sliced.

View attachment 669727

Then we ate, and either my family was blowin' smoke up my smoke stack, or they all really enjoyed it. I know I did! All of my choices, and methods followed came from taking in all the knowledge shared here, so I appreciate this forum.

*Edited to add total cook time approached 21 hours. Put it on at 3pm July 3rd, pulled to rest at almost noon on the 4th.
Hi there and welcome!

That looks great, congrats on the improvement and success!

If you like SPG you may also like SPOG just as much or more. Can't go wrong with adding the Onion.

I look forward to your future experiments (maybe longer unwrapped? :D ) and seeing how your brisket journey comes along :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky