Faulty Collagen casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Has anyone ever bought a bad batch of casings that split very easily ? I just got a 5 pack of 21mm collagen casings from Butcher and Packer and when I tried to stuff them they started splitting with ease. These were not over stuffed either. So I stuffed them very loosely to get them to work but the finished product won't look good.

They may be old casings, i had some in the fridge from a while ago. They were dried out, split just putting them on the horn. Maybe old stock.

Corey

The last smoked smoked mahogany collagen casings I used were so tough I had to peal all my sticks or spit out the casings when eating. I only us sheep casings now. Although more difficult to use, In my opinion, you get a much better product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky