Ever get tired of cooking to other peoples tastes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rio_grande

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
INDIANA
I have been having issue with this for a while. I like to cook for guests and events and other folks. I used to cook what I cooked and everyone loved it. Then I started listining to the "complainers" its to hot, it's too sweet, it is too juicy and my recent favorite why is this chicken pink? it must not be done :)

Anyway I got to the point where I really dont make my Q anymore, not real sure what it is. Although I can say my goat is still the same:)

Today was a rush job with a requested rub. When the ribs got done they were really spicy and really sweet. While not my rub I thought it was great,, but everyone cringed that it was way to spicy. I was just kinda thinking If I can't make what I want anymore what is the point?

Anybody else get to this spot or is it just me?

I hear you. But remember they are YOUR guests. Tell them tough tits, take it or leave it. Hopefull they leave it and more for you. I was stuck in that loop of cooking what others wanted and not what I wanted. It's a misreable feeling IMHO.

Well if you are the cook, then you cook your style. You can't and will never please everyone. So you may as well please yourself. They will come around to liking your style. You and your que are who you are, so have fun with it and make it yours!

I can't believe they complained it was TO juicy!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Who are these people. NExt time serve pure bark!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
j/k don't do that...

Yes and no I love having people satisfied but I do hate the it is too spicy complaint. I always try to de-spice when I have newbies at the house but only on a small portion they can sample both goods and if they don't like it tuff luck. I really cook to satisfy one person my wife and as long as she is happy I am happy.

My father-in-law was a 1st-generation Italian (as am I) and he used to make red sauce for spaghetti and meatballs and a few other dishes which were really good. He used to say though that he cooked what he liked and if you liked it great and if you didn't well that was too bad. Luckily I liked it or I probably would have been getting take out! :)

For me what makes my smokes/cooking is my style, what ever that is. I find if I do things my way then it tends to come out better. When I have guests over I smoke a few different things that way if you like spicy eat this and if not eat that .

Could it be in part that some people are just unpleasable? And when you spend the long time to cook it you just want everyone to like it, i dont know but i know what you mean.

I would say I keep to my style of q or cooking in general which is a sonoran/southwest style...95% of people like it and I have never been one to worry what other people think. I do try to cook for the masses when I am cooking for a convention or something but I learned when I had my catering company that, you will not please everyone. You can try and give it your best shot but there will always be someone in a big enough crowd that won't be happy. And you just need to be ok with that.

I agree, most of the time I am the one who say's it is tooo hot, spicy or what ever. When I cook all say they love it maybe because they love the free beer or maybe the Q was great. I have not heard anyone say they did not like it but if they did I would tell them there McDonald is LOL...
Keep doing it your way. You did the work and got it done (with the help of the wife or ??) cook for U...

If you are cooking for friends and family - they need to deal.
If you are cooking for customers - then you need to deal.
Maybe you just need a break for a bit.

I have a daughter in law that doesn't like onions, hot stuff, anything green except asparagus, coconut. I just have to tell her "you probably won't like this-or that- or!". I try not to cook things too hot or spicy. You can always add if you have to but it's damn near impossible to take it back out.

[quote=Rio_ Then I started listining to the "complainers" its to hot, it's too sweet, it is too juicy and my recent favorite why is this chicken pink? it must not be done :)

To juicy really lol well the people who come to my house to eat come because the food is good and i always cook it my way. Maybe the peeps that come to your house need to remember why they want to be there in the first place good company and good eats!

I've been cooking for a lot of years and do things my way. I must be doing something right cause I've never seen anyone leave my table hungry.

For the most part I cook to my tastes. That's probably a big reason why I do most of the cooking in our house. The only thing that I need to be mindful of is watching the heat level with spicy dishes. My wife and 6 years old daughter can't stand the heat, but me and my 9 year old daughter love it.

You can't please everyone so please yourself. I cook the way I want and that's that. I've had a few complaints but not many.

I you are hired for an event that's a different story.

In these situations, you have to consider the source; and the only sources I consider are me and my wife.
biggrin.gif

I'm on something like my 8th generation of rubs - still not quite right and to my liking - but its a work in progress that I'm enjoying. My wife is blunt and straight to the point - she likes most of it, but isn't shy about critiquing either the flavor or end result of the cooked meat. She's blatantly honest - and that is a good thing.

Now when I know I'm having guests come over to be fed - I will make a modification or two, given the palates, but I mostly stick to what works for my family.

If I have unexpected drop-ins, they get what they get.

I think I am more critical of my 'Q' than the people that I cook for... I am always asking "is it too this or not enough that". Over the years I have learned by asking that you can't please everyone all the time. In general I find most women do not like spicey and most men do not like sweet and if you develop your style that has suptle hints of both and let the smokiness of tender juicy meat shine through you will have a winner every time....

I know what you mean Jeff about having to cook to other folks taste. We had the in-laws over for lunch today and I made a rib roast. Father-in-law is the pickiest SOB I have ever seen. No spice allowed and it must be cooked to the point of charcoal. I usually do my roasts to 118* and really enjoy them, as does my family. But today I had to cook it to 135*. I could barely eat it it was so done, and to top it, he complained it was not cooked and had to nuke his piece. My only recourse was to grit my teeth and apologize for almost serving him an edible meal. I'm convinced that if it has flavor, he won't eat it.

I used to do the grilling/smoking at large parties in Cali for up to 20-30 friends every weekend. I just made it my way. Then some friends didn't like this or that. I just told them bring your meats all marinaded up how you like and I'll do the grilling. By the way I ate and drank for free all weekend every weekend.

Carol doesn't like rare meat, she will a little pink though so I just pull at rare and nuke hers gently with some aujus and she loves it.

I also don't use any exoctic rub, just salt pepper and garlic.

Cook it your way. There is only one thing you need to worry about, and that is that the meat is properly cooked.
As long as that is done right, don't worry. There is always some one who will complain/disagree with what you've done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky