Electric vs Pellet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

f14tomcat5

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Hey all,

I'm another newbie to home smoking. I have an old Brinkman vertical smoker and am looking to upgrade, I just don't have to desire to tend a fire all day and night for great food. I have read a lot of reviews about the MES units and it looks like you either get a really good one or crap. I'm debating between electric and pellet. Anyone have some insight? If electric is the way to go, can anyone provide a model number they recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Clayton

Hey all,

I'm another newbie to home smoking. I have an old Brinkman vertical smoker and am looking to upgrade, I just don't have to desire to tend a fire all day and night for great food. I have read a lot of reviews about the MES units and it looks like you either get a really good one or crap. I'm debating between electric and pellet. Anyone have some insight? If electric is the way to go, can anyone provide a model number they recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Clayton
Seems like most folks on here get a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Not sure of the model number. but I think the 40 inch Generation 2.5 is the one most feel is the best.  I have a 30 inch model, I believe the model number is 20070910. I also have a Green Mountain pellet smoker. With the electric smoker, you will still need to tend to it by adding chips every 30-45 minutes unless you use a Amazen pellet tray. Also, you will be limited to the size/amount of food you can put in the electric smoker. Probably won't be able to fit a full rack of ribs in it, though I have not tried it. With my pellet smoker, I can lay the full slab of ribs on the grates with no problem. Price difference is also going to be big. 30 inch MES is about $170, my pellet smoker was about $600. 

I have had the MES 30 with the mailbox mod for a bit over a year and it has been pretty solid slight temp variation but I can deal with that. I'm passing that one on to my father. Last week I got an MES 40, model 20070311, gen 1. I've used the 40 twice and like it so far. A bit too soon to tell. I have been on the fence looking at the Rec Tec Mini. For now the electrics are working so I'll stay where I'm at I like them.

I would likke to be able to smoke anything from a pork butt to brisket to a turkey. Can you fit a turkey in a 40?

Thanks for the input everyone. Any input on the internal cooking area?

I would likke to be able to smoke anything from a pork butt to brisket to a turkey. Can you fit a turkey in a 40?
You should be able to get a turkey in the smoker.  It is all a matter of size of the bird. I know you are looking at the MES but I thought I would include a link to a video where a fellow did 6 turkeys  all at one time in a Smokin-it Model 4.  Admittedly this is way more expensive than the MES but it is good to see the results.  And Smokin-it does make smaller models at lower prices.  Really good smokers. Enjoy!

I have done four racks of ribs in me MES40 for a friends get together. They fit fine. 

Having to do it all over again I would not do my MES 40.

I personally would look very closely the SmokinIt 3D.  I haven't done a ton of research but what I read about it's specs and what I occassionaly see about it is that it is fantastic and no issues when people speak about it.

I say all this because I have used the MES40 as it was and didn't like temp swings and inaccurate probes.

My smoking goals are:
  • Regular hot smokes including chicken (325F is good for getting edible or sometimes crispy chicken skin)
  • Cold smokes  - for stuff like Salmon Lox or cheese (no temp on and smoke piped in via AMNPS and Mailbox Mod)
  • Sausage and Bacon smokes (need temps that do not wildly swing to avoid melting fat, and need these dependable temps at 160-170F as well as smoke capability at those temps 
I want to do a lot of with my smoker and the MES or Bradley smokers (or lesser electric smokers) do not seem to be able to adequately support my needs.

So, I have rewired MES40's, added PID Controllers, and added Mailbox Mod plus AMNPS for smoke generation.  With the money spent I have come out no cheaper than if I would have purchased the SmokinIt 3D and I think the SmokinIt 3D would maybe have done everything I wanted.   I might have needed/wanted to use the AMNPS but that is one simple change.

In all I'm happy with what I have now, it is working great, BUT I had to greatly enhance my MES40 to meet my needs.

I hope this info helps you make the decision :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky