Eggs in mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good morning sausagemakers!
After Disco's post about Irish sausage a few weeks ago I've had a bug in my ear to try some.
I'm going to use the recipe straight out of Rytek Kutas's book, which calls for eggs.
I've never made sausage with eggs before. I usually grind and mix, then let the mix sit overnight in the fridge
before stuffing the next day and it seems he does it all at once. How would eggs affect that or would it?
I'm leaning toward adding the eggs the next day before stuffing but am not sure.
He also always seems to use a LOT of water...
Any ideas?

Dan

I use eggs in bratwurst , depending on the type . I mix and hold over night in a 36 degree fridge , then stuff the next day . I actually just made some last week and had them for supper last night . Good stuff .
As for water , I only add what it takes to get it to come together .

Reactions: indaswamp
Rytek stuff is legit so I wouldn't stray far from the recipe. Kept cold, should be fine to hold a bit.

chopsaw chopsaw any flavor or texture pickup with the eggs?

Reactions: sawhorseray
any flavor or texture pickup with the eggs?
Texture wise for sure . More of an emulsified sausage . These had eggs and cure 1 added to them . I use 2 whole eggs per 5lbs . Pepper jack cheese in those also .
20200125_191041.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
Texture wise for sure . More of an emulsified sausage . These had eggs and cure 1 added to them . I use 2 whole eggs per 5lbs . Pepper jack cheese in those also .
View attachment 440455
He call for 8 eggs for a 10# batch and of course I'm breaking that in half for a 5# batch. That's 4 eggs for 5#. Sound like a lot? I like the emulsified like idea. He uses a 1/4" plate.
I also just add water as needed til the mix feels right and use cure #1 in all my sausage, fresh or smoked.....

Whole eggs are about 75% Water. So 2 large eggs is about 3 ounces of Water. Follow Rytek's recipe or Adjust accordingly...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky