Dryish pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeaddict

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Sydney Australia
Disappointing result after 14 hr process. Great bark and flavour, but not juicy, took the 6 lb butt to 205, rested in foil and cooler, zero juice collected in the foil.
Has anyone tried a successful method reheating the leftovers and introducing some sort of moisture, apart from adding sauce ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Regards,
Gus

I've heard of all sorts of ways to reheat PP and other sliced, chopped and pulled meats.
Water, butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, bacon grease and more, and combinations of any of these with or without some type of BBQ sauce.

But so far the best substance I've found for keeping reheated PP moist and flavorful is SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce.
This is not a traditional BBQ sauce of vinegar or mustard base, this is a vinegar based sauce mixed into the PP that add moisture and enhances flavor according to which and how much spice is used.
SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce

If the Tangy of Vinegar is not your thing, my family loves the one below. Regular Coke, Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper or Root Beer all work...JJ

POP Sauce

2C Cola

1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Rub, whatever's on the meat.

1T Mustard

1T Molasses

1T Colgin Hickory Liquid Smoke (optional)

Add all to a pot and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes.

For Finishing Sauce, keep warm and add to meat.

Next time, don't worry about IT and just try cooking till it's probe tender.

If the Tangy of Vinegar is not your thing, my family loves the one below. Regular Coke, Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper or Root Beer all work...JJ

POP Sauce

2C Cola

1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar

1T Mustard

1T Molasses

JJ, I'll have to give that one a try.

I've heard of all sorts of ways to reheat PP and other sliced, chopped and pulled meats.
Water, butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, bacon grease and more, and combinations of any of these with or without some type of BBQ sauce.

But so far the best substance I've found for keeping reheated PP moist and flavorful is SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce.
This is not a traditional BBQ sauce of vinegar or mustard base, this is a vinegar based sauce mixed into the PP that add moisture and enhances flavor according to which and how much spice is used.
SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce

Thanks very much, I will try that finishing sauce,
Regards,
Gus

POP Sauce

2C Cola

1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar

1T Mustard

1T Molasses

Thank You JJ !
If Coke is banned in the house, will the sauce suffer from exclusion ?

No, substitute Apple juice, White Grape or other sweet drink...JJ

Another question is your thermometer accurate? IMHO if the smoker was at 225* then 14 hours seems a bit long for a 6 pounder?

Another question is your thermometer accurate? IMHO if the smoker was at 225* then 14 hours seems a bit long for a 6 pounder?

I thought so too. I took it out of the smoker after 11 hours, it was @ 170, wrapped it in foil and put it into the oven which was set to 200. It took another four hours to get to 205 from there. Into a cooler for an hour. It was an unusual shoulder, maybe the apprentice deboned it, was a mess of bits and pieces, holes, required a lot of tying to get it to a remotely recognisable shoulder. Maybe it was the quality of the meat. Had no fat cap, the Asian butchers offer many cuts which have the fat stripped out. I did not mop or spray. Digital thermo is spot on. It was tender, just dryish. Any thoughts ?
Gus

Disappointing result after 14 hr process. Great bark and flavour, but not juicy, took the 6 lb butt to 205, rested in foil and cooler, zero juice collected in the foil.
Has anyone tried a successful method reheating the leftovers and introducing some sort of moisture, apart from adding sauce ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Regards,
Gus
I vacum pack and freeze all my chopped Boston Butts for another day. We eat sandwiches with most of it. Once defrosted, I throw it in a pot and bring up to heat slowly. It is always moist but from time to time I add a small amount of apple juice to the pot before I add my BBQ sauce.

Reactions: smokeaddict
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky