Does smoke exhaust routing need to come out vertical?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally picked up the bus and got it all measured. The bay is a lot taller than I thought. 33x23x44. It'll be used for the smoker and some electric cooler/freezer or maybe just mini fridge/freezer.

This isn't a typical RV it's very expensive and all stainless steel so even the bay is stainless steel. Also it's airride suspension and this bay is right in the middle so should be very smooth and stable. There's not much worry about things falling over or spilling like with other RVs.

My main concern is finding If it'll affect flavor if venting and if inlet/exhaust fans would have a major impact. Also ideas on how to make the exhaust and where to point so it's not blowing right where we're sitting and if the exhaust will create some damage to the exterior of the bus.

20230406_124901.jpg

I can only imagine a 8 lb pork butt bouncing around the smoker after hitting a bump. Plus all the dripping running out after making a left turn. My guess is smoke will certainly stain the side of the bus. I hope you can get this to work, but I have some doubts. Smoke while sitting still, then reheat later sounds a lot easier.

I'll keep yall updated. It'll probably be a few weeks as there's a ton of other things needing done

Another solid no vote for me..

1680836285746.png

Perhaps a small trailer would fit your smoker, wood, etc. and you could easily vent it so there would be a induced low pressure on the exhaust while driving. I'm sure you could get 110 to it from your genny while driving or even use the 12v pin in the rv plug to run an inverter in the trailer. You could have lights to boot!

1680836628260.png

Just a thought.

I just bought a new motorcoach and planning on building a smoker inside one of the bays.
I'm pretty sure this will void any warranty you may have.
It's a Prevost xl2 40ft large class A coach
When it burns downs and the insurance adjuster does a complete survey and finds a functional smoker in the baggage bin. ... Good luck with that.
I'm done with this thread..

If the smoker will not be accessible via the interior, how will you know if the smoker is generating smoke while cruisin down the highway? What if it isn't? or what if you don't know? "Honey, we need to pullover again to check the smoker" This is a very unnecessary task to be dealing with when you should be focused on the crazy motorists around you.

If the smoker will not be accessible via the interior, how will you know if the smoker is generating smoke while cruisin down the highway? What if it isn't? or what if you don't know? "Honey, we need to pullover again to check the smoker" This is a very unnecessary task to be dealing with when you should be focused on the crazy motorists around you.
I'm confused on this question. Smoke is electronically controlled on the P10 so it should handle that for me and if not smoking then it'll still cook fine. You just load up the bisquettes and they last all day. They have programs where you control the temp, time and smoke.

Pulling over at a rest stop while driving isn't much different than if you're inside your home and have to go outside to check the smoker.

The chamber is not air tight or nothing will burn. The question is, how does new oxygen make it into the compartment. Is the flow in and out constant or will there be eddies, like the currents in the ocean. Even if the vehicle doesn't catch fire, i would be more the cautious on eating anything from it.

if it does actually smoke the inside of the chamber will be coated with creosote. I can't imagine a scenario where this is a good idea.

The chamber is not air tight or nothing will burn. The question is, how does new oxygen make it into the compartment. Is the flow in and out constant or will there be eddies, like the currents in the ocean. Even if the vehicle doesn't catch fire, i would be more the cautious on eating anything from it.

if it does actually smoke the inside of the chamber will be coated with creosote. I can't imagine a scenario where this is a good idea.
I just ordered one so I'll know soon. I'm assuming there's an intake hole on the bottom as the briquette burns right in the bottom middle. There's massive seals and it's insulated so should be airtight.
If this is the case I'll just cut a hole under the bay and put piping (and maybe a fan) so it's airtight into the smoker then have the exhaust go behind/beside the smoker to another hole underneath the coach (likely with a fan). I could then just leave it to exhaust right under the coach or route it under the coach to the other side just like the generator exhaust is.

Smokers and BBQ's need to be spaced away from living quarters and large flammable objects. They don't belong inside your kitchen nor in your car nor in your bus.

Pellet machines with wifi, etc have created an illusion that outdoor cookers are now set&forget. But if you're ever going to step away from a smoker, have a remote thermometer that tells you if temps get out of control in the cook chamber (separate from the int meat temp). And never be so far away you couldn't react in time to deal with a grease fire if you had one. And NEVER use them close enough to a valued structure (home, bus, etc) that fire could spread to them in the worst-case scenario.

In other words, those first few pages of every owners manual is meant to be followed!

And doing this in a moving vehicle adds an entire new dimension of danger to the situation. :-)

Reactions: Smoke-Chem BBQ
I have not read through all of this thread so don't know if it is mentioned yet...

I would build the smoker on a heavy duty slide out from the bay on the motor home. This will solve all the exhaust issues. You could even have a supplemental stack that you add on after you pull it out. Problem solved.

So..smoking meat....in a moving motor home....while driving down the highway? Nope, hard pass on that for me. And I'm a rebel/risk taker. No way I'd do it. Too many safety issues. If you are dead set on it, I'd look at a trailer as posted.

I keep thinking of creosote build up if the exhaust is piped sideways instead of straight up....same outcome-fire.
Wondering what temp the exhaust would be and a good cheap exhaust material would be. Maybe easiesr to just replace it every x uses.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky