Does smoke exhaust routing need to come out vertical?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Right only fireproof up to 1598 degrees 🙄 just the same 304 stainless steel material used for my solo stove and the smoker itself.
What is surrounding the stainless box in the construction of the motorcoach...that is the concern. A lot of materials will combust at temperatures lower than 1598*F. If a fire breaks out in the box, yes-the fire inside would be contained; but a new fire could start from the heat transfer. If there are struts or angle metal attached to that box in the coach framing....they will conduct heat quite a ways from that box.

I believe this is what Chop is referring to....the box is not fully isolated like an oven....

Reactions: bill1
What is surrounding the stainless box in the construction of the motorcoach...that is the concern. A lot of materials will combust at temperatures lower than 1598*F. If a fire breaks out in the box, yes-the fire inside would be contained; but a new fire could start from the heat transfer. If there are struts or angle metal attached to that box in the coach framing....they will conduct heat quite a ways from that box.

I believe this is what Chop is referring to....the box is not fully isolated like an oven....
The entire frame of the coach is 304 stainless steel including bays floors and even exterior walls. On the other side of the bay panels is closed cell spray insulation which is fire rated sandwiched between another layer of 304 stainless above then the interior construction. The fuel tank is behind that panel and is also 304 stainless and fire rated. The left side is another stainless bay with a generator and stainless fresh water bay. The right side is another stainless empty bay. Below the bay is closed cell spray insulation.

These are commercial busses designed to carry 55 passengers or custom coaches used by the president as it's the only coach strong enough for bomb protections.

I'm not familiar with your particular coach, or how it is constructed; just spit balling here on safety issues. You obviously have the money to do it right if this is a toy for you, so I suggest an automatic fire extinguisher system with a flame detector inside the bay....just in case....and hope you never need it. The commercial kind they install in restaurants over the stove in the kitchen. Cheap piece of mind. Have it engineered with double fail safes.

After reading through all of this I think I can solve your problem. Just drill holes and run the flue straight up through the floor, through the interior, and then through the roof...

Putting aside all the safety issues, is the bay wide enough for you to access the left side to load and maintain the briquettes ?

Putting aside all the safety issues, is the bay wide enough for you to access the left side to load and maintain the briquettes ?
plenty of room. The smoker is 28" wide and the bay is 45" wide. A couple inches on each side are for the door hinges. I'm thinking of putting an electric cooler fridge/freezer next to it

I wonder how the railroad kitchen cars vent their appliances?
I assume out the top as they were center stage and not tucked into a belly bay.

I have a truck camper (slide in?) unit. The fridge will not stay lit running down the road. Never tried the water heater or oven enroute as no need.

I'm looking through the situation. Your coach is going to be used for events.
If you want to cater a meal featuring smoked meat, go the route of the road show (commercial) rib fests. Most of that meat is smoked and cooked at leisure and reheated for the patrons. If you attend one of these, the food either comes out of a Cambro or a reheater not a smoker. Any smoking the day or days of the event is usually reserved for the judging competition. Left overs get added to the Cambro.

I suppose the wife and kids could watch it from the following vehicle. :emoji_thinking:
Most things will cook within 2- 5 hrs, minus pork butt or brisket ( vac seal ) and bring along. Would be much more relaxing sipping a couple beverages while smoking than stressed cruising down the hwy.
Just my take . . .

One thing to consider…anything that produces smoke that comes from your bus will likely result in well intentioned callers reporting your bus on fire. The result will be emergency resources tracking you down and pulling you over. Waste of their time and yours. I respectfully add another ‘no’ vote and hope you reconsider.

Dumb question, Sounds like this was a somewhat custom build.
Have you talked to the manufacturer or builder of the coach?
They may have suggestions or even done this or something similar.

Throw in a carbon monoxide detector as well......
Can there be carbon monoxide from wood
One thing to consider…anything that produces smoke that comes from your bus will likely result in well intentioned callers reporting your bus on fire. The result will be emergency resources tracking you down and pulling you over. Waste of their time and yours. I respectfully add another ‘no’ vote and hope you reconsider.
Are you saying when you smoke meat it's exhaust it much thicker smoke than a cars exhaust in the winter? When I smoke it's not nearly that much and most isn't visible.

Dumb question, Sounds like this was a somewhat custom build.
Have you talked to the manufacturer or builder of the coach?
They may have suggestions or even done this or something similar.
I've looked at other custom designes and how they do appliances, generators and other things. Never seen a smoker in any coach but plenty of grills that come out. Of course grilling is different.

Many people use an oven while driving both propane and electric. This isn't nearly as dangerous as others made it to be.

My concern is how the smoke will affect meat and how it'll work if it's directed below the smoker.

I've looked at other custom designes and how they do appliances, generators and other things. Never seen a smoker in any coach but plenty of grills that come out. Of course grilling is different.
Maybe there's a reason why......
Many people use an oven while driving both propane and electric. This isn't nearly as dangerous as others made it to be.
That's your opinion.
My concern is how the smoke will affect meat and how it'll work if it's directed below the smoker.
Not sure what you mean. How can the smoke be below the smoker. It is typically created inside the smoker at the bottom and is vented out the top. At least the Bradley P10 does.

plenty of room. The smoker is 28" wide and the bay is 45" wide. A couple inches on each side are for the door hinges. I'm thinking of putting an electric cooler fridge/freezer next to it.
Don't forget room required on the left side required for accessing the briquettes. Also putting a cooler/fridge/freezer next to the smoker? inside such a tight area?

Last edited:
We plan to get an RV when I retire, and already have a plan for smoking food while traveling the country. The plan is to put a WSM in the storage bay, and set it up and smoke when we're parked somewhere for a day more more. The Weber Smokey Mountain is lightweight, inexpensive, turns out great food, and the sections lift apart making it easy to fit all three sections into a bay. No risk of fire or ash or CO or spilled grease in the rig, no convoluted venting required to try and make hot smoke vent downwards. And we can enjoy the whole experience of a low-and-slow cook while sitting in the shade enjoying a bourbon.

Should we ever be in such a big hurry that we can't stop, and need to cook food while tearing down the highway, the RV will already have a suitable appliance for that. It's called a 'microwave'.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky