does putting rub on the outside of a pork butt stop any of the smoke flavor from entering the meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've pondered a different question on rub for butts. How Much flavor does rub actually add to butts when pulling? When you do 20-30 Is it really important to rub? I've considered smoking them naked (the butts not me lol) and adding rub into the pulled along with the liquid gold.

does putting rub on the outside of a pork butt stop any of the smoke flavor from entering the meat
Hi there and welcome!

I'm in the camp of pour the rub/seasoning on.
For pork butts I do this thing that was a total game changer for me. I flip the pork butt meat side up and then cut down like cutting it half until I hit the bone and I stop so it's still one whole cut of meat.

I then can spread it out some and season all in there and place on the rack spread out some and I get more seasoning on it, more bark, more smoke penetration, meaning more flavor overall!!!!
This solved any lack of flavor issues and boosted things into another realm of amazing for my pork butts. Feel free to give it a try :D

Reactions: BigW. and jcam222
I've pondered a different question on rub for butts. How Much flavor does rub actually add to butts when pulling? When you do 20-30 Is it really important to rub? I've considered smoking them naked (the butts not me lol) and adding rub into the pulled along with the liquid gold.
I generally use a 'finishing rub' on all pulled pork, and most competition cooks use a finishing rub on their entries. All you need is a fine grind of a rub. So fine in fact that it essentially melts upon contact with hot meat. I now use thumb grinders from

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky