Discussion on smoke escaping Smoke Hollow smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RedIllini

Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
I saw a thread talking about smoke escaping out from the doors of their standup smoker. Someone said it could also be that I have too much smoke and just what wasn't needed is escaping. I have a Smoke Hollow Propane standup where the wood chips box is right on top of the flame. How do I control the amount of smoke coming out of that. It does burn fast. I usually dont soak my wood chips (another whole topic that has 1000 different answers). Is there such a thing of too much smoke.

U should have thin blue smoke coming out of the top. Not white billowing smoke like ur burning trash. I would suggest getting a cheap cast iron skillet to replace wood box. Also try using wood chunks instead of chips. Using 1 chunk at a time. 2 with catch on fire. In my SH if I want temperatures over 225 I leave some ashes in bottom of pan under wood. Most times though it’s low & slow. Hope this helps ya.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That is solid advice buzzy.

Also, you could wrap the chips in tin foil for a short term work around.
But as buzzy said above, your better option is to ditch the stock chip pan for a CI pan and use chunks.

As for the smoke leaking around the doors, some leakage is normal since Smoke Hollow gassers don't have door gaskets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky