First smoke on the Cuisinart planned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
I have to at least upgrade the thermometer on the Cuisinart 18 before the first smoke, but I plan to marinate two Boston Butts in three parts apple juice and one part Captain Morgan spiced rum starting on March 5th. I'm March 10th, smoke them at 250° using the snake method and apple wood chips. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have to at least upgrade the thermometer on the Cuisinart 18 before the first smoke, but I plan to marinate two Boston Butts in three parts apple juice and one part Captain Morgan spiced rum starting on March 5th. I'm March 10th, smoke them at 250° using the snake method and apple wood chips. Looking forward to it.
Was wondering when!

A decent multi-probe therm is a good investment.Two probes at minimum,one for chamber temp and the other for food.A hi/lo temp alarm is a must in case something happens especially on overnight cooks.

Was wondering when!

A decent multi-probe therm is a good investment.Two probes at minimum,one for chamber temp and the other for food.A hi/lo temp alarm is a must in case something happens especially on overnight cooks.
Any tips on a snake that will have the temperature at 250°?

Any tips on a snake that will have the temperature at 250°?
Temp control is something you deal with using your vents.I'm a WSM owner which is a similar style smoker so I would imagine the Cuisinart has bottom and top vents,on the WSM the bottom vents are your primary way of maintaining temp.Using the snake/minion method is a great way to get a steady burn rate which helps with temp control but its your vents that will maintain it.

It might at first appear to be a waste of charcoal but do a test run and experiment and until you get it settled in to a desired temp.

Temp control is something you deal with using your vents.I'm a WSM owner which is a similar style smoker so I would imagine the Cuisinart has bottom and top vents,on the WSM the bottom vents are your primary way of maintaining temp.Using the snake/minion method is a great way to get a steady burn rate which helps with temp control but its your vents that will maintain it.

It might at first appear to be a waste of charcoal but do a test run and experiment and until you get it settled in to a desired temp.
I decided to smoke country style ribs because I want to do some mods to the smoker before attempting a six hour or longer smoke.

Reactions: normanaj
Not familiar with that smoker but if your using the snake method I’d start off with your snake and top vents to smoker open (all the time) and bottom vents about 1/4 and play with it from there. If it’s lower than the temp you want. Just open them a little more. But after you make adjustments give it time to catch up to see what temp it goes to

Not familiar with that smoker but if your using the snake method I’d start off with your snake and top vents to smoker open (all the time) and bottom vents about 1/4 and play with it from there. If it’s lower than the temp you want. Just open them a little more. But after you make adjustments give it time to catch up to see what temp it goes to
Not familiar with that smoker but if your using the snake method I’d start off with your snake and top vents to smoker open (all the time) and bottom vents about 1/4 and play with it from there. If it’s lower than the temp you want. Just open them a little more. But after you make adjustments give it time to catch up to see what temp it goes t

That's what to do. Might want to use the minion method with prolonged smokes, so I'm going to break in the new smoker with country style ribs.

Reactions: 912smoker
I decided to wait until I get a digital thermometer with two temperature probes first

Is this the Cuisinart that is like the WSM- barrel shaped? I started on that. I always did the minion method with 8-10 hot coals on the top. Worked well. You'll need to refuel a few times but I eventually bought a larger charcoal ring to limit that.

Is this the Cuisinart that is like the WSM- barrel shaped? I started on that. I always did the minion method with 8-10 hot coals on the top. Worked well. You'll need to refuel a few times but I eventually bought a larger charcoal ring to limit that.
How long between refueling after you got the larger charcoal ring? Yes, it's the same as your old smoker. A Cuisinart 18

Not really sure, but at least an hour or two. My biggest takeaway from that smoker is whatever amount of wood you think you need...it's too much lol.

The ring helps to keep the charcoal contained. Without it, the coals might start spreading out and might be harder to keep lit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky