Did someone say peaches?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

02ebz06

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 1, 2012
Rio Rancho, NM
Wife has been pruning peaches off the miniature tree.
Branches wouldn't be able to support that.
This is only half of what she removed, about a third or better of the bucket.

Pruned Peaches 2024-04-25.jpg

Oh I love the jarred peaches my parents used to make. Heck I love peaches fresh too.

Wow , if that is just thinning out the tree, you must have a very productive Peach tree. I wish.

I hope this year is a better year than last year was with our fruit trees.
Maybe a month to see if the blossoms pop out on the trees.

David

A little off topic BUT how do you control brown rot?? I have numerous stone fruit trees (plum n peach) but the fruit always rots and falls off before ripe.

Regular “fruit tree spray” from the big box stores does not work. And you can’t find the chemical “captain” any more.
Any advice appreciated

I am familiar with are doing but even though it helps a small tree it hurts a little bit to do that.
You have to be careful taking them off, but how does it hurt the tree?

Here is the tree and one of the remaining branches to be pruned.
It has at "least" 23 peaches on the Y-shaped branch. Probably some I couldn't see.
They also prevent some new leaves from growing.

All these peaches left on would produce small fruit, and could risk branches breaking.
Last year none of the peaches in the area did good.
Don't know if a frost hit or what, but the few that were on it were large.

A_Peach Tree 2024-04-26.jpg
A_Peach Branch 2024-04-26.jpg

==============================================================

A little off topic BUT how do you control brown rot?? I have numerous stone fruit trees (plum n peach) but the fruit always rots and falls off before ripe.

Regular “fruit tree spray” from the big box stores does not work. And you can’t find the chemical “captain” any more.
Any advice appreciated
I have no idea.
Only moved in a couple years ago so growing peaches, as well as the pears, and apples is new to me.

=============================================================

Wonder how much of it is peach and how much is pit when they are that small

Here is one cut in half. Not best picture, but you can see what the pit looks like.

A_Cut Peach 2024-04-26.jpg

Was my thought also....Bet that would hurt coming out of a good slingshot!

Jim
Off topic but years ago when I planted my tomatoes. I bought a 6 pack of Better Boys a a 6 of Big Boys along with 2 cherry tomato plants. Well what I ended up with was 8 cherry tomato plants. We had cherry tomato battles all year. LoL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky