deep fried turkey question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigarm's smokin

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2007
BigArm MT
Hey everyone, I know this is a BBQ forum, not deep fryers, but I didn't know where else to look. Besides, I know that many of you, like Walkingdude, run deep fry cookers. My question, yesterday I did a 19# turkey @ 325 for 66 minutes, according to my directions it should have been done to perfection. I seperated the skin from the meat and smeared Jeff's rum inside the skin and outside too, I injected it and let it sit in the ice box 6 hrs. I then fried it for 66 minutes, it came out blacker than the inside of a cow.
icon_eek.gif
Thats ok, it still tasted good, I assume the brown sugar in the rub was my downfall, I normally use Montreal(sp) chicken seasoning on it, but I was out. The worst part is, the bird was WAY overdone.
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
I don't know where I screwed up. My question to you is, can I use my Taylor therometer with the long wired probe in the thigh? Or will the hot oil ruin the cable? Terry

Sorry to hear that Terry, by my calculation's, it should have been done in 61 min's. 3 min's per pound + 4 min's = 61. what temp did you cook at? I start my bird's at 375* and then try to keep em at 350ish till theyr'e done.
I would not try a thermo in hot oil but i might be wrong, using the times i gave always guarantee a perfect bird!

Hey Terry,

Well, I been doing turkeys that way for along time... I cook mine at 350 for 3.5 minutes/lb...

It will come out looking similar to a large charcoal briquet. I think what may have happened to you was loosening the skin from the meat. The oil sears the skin "shut" and keeps the marinade and juices inside the meat. when you loosened the skin, I think you let more hot oil to the meat and therefore, it cooked alot of the juices away.

Next time, try just injecting it, and sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt all over the inside and outside of the bird... trust me on this...
biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh, and don't use your digital in the hot oil! Just use the oil temp thermo to monitor the oil temp... the bird will be fine.

I would not use the probe in oil... If water ruins them oil will do the same IMO.
What I do is pull the bird out of the oil when I think its getting done and stick the thermo into it and if its not done I lower it back in for more cooking.
Like others I cook at 350 for 3-4 min a pound. I check the temp several times when its getting close tot he end. I over cooked one once and I do not want to do it again.
I agree with HH and his theory on pulling the skin off the bird.

I'm gonna be cooking 2 next weekend.. I LOVE Deep Fried Turkey..

I always inject my turkey the night before and nothing else. Plus I found out frying a smaller turkey helps also. 12-14 lbs is my choice. Also you can listen to the frying sound, kinda like you do for popcorn in the microwave. The sound slows down quite a bit and the bird starts to float. I then give it a few minutes more and lift it out. We put a broom handle thru the lifter handle, makes it a little safer.

Hope this helps!!

Lisa
tongue.gif

In addition to all above, Use the long stemmed thermo specially made for the turkey fryers. It's not a remote type, just a spring type with a long probe. Taylor makes them as do most of the regular suspects.

Dial probes work best for fryers. Sounds like you've been given the right advice. The skin helps protect the meat when deep fried.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky