Dadgum! It's hot in the 214!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluesmoke214

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 1, 2022
Guess I could just throw a couple steaks on the driveway! I'm Bluesmoke214...don't look it up - it's the Area Code for Dallas, my hometown and place of birth and residence. I've been copping Jeff's recipes for a while, so I thought I would join this community of grillers and smokers.

I just have a Weber kettle and an Oklahoma Joe's Ranger, which are sufficient for my wife and me. When we have company I can fire up both if necessary.

I will try to post those grilling and smoking exploits if I deem them worthy of this august board. I am more apt to post stories that may or may not be true, but might be entertaining, having to do with grilling or maybe something else entirely.

In the meantime, chew on this: my wife likes her meat well done. Me, I'm a medium rare to medium guy. This presents a challenge to me, especially when I smoke one large piece of meat like a full brisket, tri-tip, bavette and beef short ribs. Anyone in the same boat? Got any tricks under that apron? Please share.

To good fires and good cooks! IMG_0216.jpeg

Welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
I used to live in Roanoke, not too far from TMS before moving here.

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us! I'm lucky my wife prefers medium rare like me... but sometimes if certain cuts are too rare for her she just warms up a pot of beef broth and finishes it a bit more that way.

Ryan

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us! I'm lucky my wife prefers medium rare like me... but sometimes if certain cuts are too rare for her she just warms up a pot of beef broth and finishes it a bit more that way.

Ryan
that's a great idea...I'll see if she will try it. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
I used to live in Roanoke, not too far from TMS before moving here.
Thank you. Fished a lot in NM...all the rivers and streams around Taos and Angel Fire. Great country, good people and great food!

Reactions: 02ebz06
thank you Jim

granddaughter goes to Ole Miss...we've visited her a few times and had a blast...even waited 2 hours in the parking lot to eat catfish at Taylor Grocery...which was ok - we had beer and wine!

Howdy Bluesmoke, and welcome from the the other side of the Red River! It’s hot here too…but not like it’s hot in Dallas! Stay cool Brother!

And if you’re gonna start posting stories that may or may not be true…you’re gonna fit right in around here…😉🍺

Red

Howdy from Austin. It's no better here. I'm going to be in the 214 in about 3 weeks, maybe there will be a cold front by then :)

Hello Loyd, and thanks for the welcome. Hopefully your visit will see the temp plummet to 95!

Welcome from Fl. ... It's hot here too...

FWIW... The longest day of the year has passed so days are getting shorter... We're on the downside now... Cold fronts will be moving in soon (wishful thinking)

Howdy from Austin. It's no better here. I'm going to be in the 214 in about 3 weeks, maybe there will be a cold front by then :)

Welcome from Fl. ... It's hot here too...

FWIW... The longest day of the year has passed so days are getting shorter... We're on the downside now... Cold fronts will be moving in soon...
Thanks! By cold fronts you mean low 90s and the occasional breeze from the north. I'll be by the grill for sure!

welcome bluesmoke from near stl mo! my sister in law is the only one in the fam that likes her meat completely dead - usually i'll carve of a piece, throw the grate over the firebox, and do a reverse sear until it's crunchy all the way through for her, but usually brisket and ribs are a non-issue, since they're cooked to tenderness not doneness.

it was nice here today - 95* but only 85% humidity, so that was refreshing. my biggest challenge was getting enough draw on the stack to finish off my brisket. good problem to have ;)

Welcome to SMF I’ve not heard of anyone making a medium rare brisket or ribs. For other cuts you could just start her piece of meat before yours or keep hers over a hotter spot on the grill.

So where’s your go-to bbq joint in Dallas? I love Hard Eight, but it’s going to be a furnace there in mid-July.

So where’s your go-to bbq joint in Dallas? I love Hard Eight, but it’s going to be a furnace there in mid-July.
Hard Eight is good but only ever been to the Coppell store. You know Dallas is what Austin and that region is about to become...way too damn big and busy. We live in what I call the central part of town, near SMU. There are at least 8-10 beef palaces we can get to in 30 min or less. One90 Smoked Meats, Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum and Heim's BBQ is at the entrance to Love Field. Ain't gettin' on the freeways if I don't have to!

Welcome to SMF I’ve not heard of anyone making a medium rare brisket or ribs. For other cuts you could just start her piece of meat before yours or keep hers over a hotter spot on the grill.
Mr. Peachey, thanks for the welcome. I guess I mean at a point where the meat is slightly pinkish leading to brown-ish. Good smoke ring. Trying for 190-200 internal. It's just my wife and I mainly, and she usually buys flats at Costco - 4-6 lbs, so I don't have a huge packer to work with. When I do short ribs I can do little rack for her and one for me. Don't do a huge amount of pork here, tho that may change if we don't get our feral hog problem in check! I usually put her steaks on the grill a couple of days before mine 😎

We live in what I call the central part of town, near SMU. There are at least 8-10 beef palaces we can get to in 30 min or less. One90 Smoked Meats, Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum and Heim's BBQ is at the entrance to Love Field. Ain't gettin' on the freeways if I don't have to!

I spent a year at SMU, but that was 40 years ago. We're not horribly far from that area, I'll look and see what's closest on your list. Thanks!

Pecan Lodge has probably gotten the most acclaim, for what it's worth. I should have mentioned that One90 Smoked Meat is takeout only. Heim BBQ is a husband-wife outfit that started as a food truck in Ft Worth...he offers some sides that are a bit unusual - but good, and his meat is solid.

And...I forgot to mention the place we go to most often cause it's 6 min from our house

hope you enjoy your time in Large D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky