Cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idlewildman

Original poster
Dec 2, 2023
Hello all,
Last night I started to make my first batch of jalapeno cheese venison snack sticks. I added cure when mixing in my spices. During the stuffing process through a 10 mm stuffing tube, my stuffer gear broke. So my question is, I have 10#'s of meat that I could not finish stuffing that

You should be good for 5 days in the fridge waiting for repair parts.
10mm is a really small diameter stick. Perhaps stuffer wasn't up to the task?
Thank you for the quick response. The stuffer is a Hakka 7 lb model. I think I may need to add more water, it seems like the meat stiffens up very quickly though. Is there a limit to how much waterI can add to the meat mixture?

Yes and no
10% is the start point on smoked sticks. Any water lose will make the casings shrivel. More water is more shrivel.
What is roughly your meat stick recipe (without divulging any secrets) as far as adds such as protein binders?

I do not recommend stuffing snack stick meat paste with additions like cheese and jalapeno through a 10mm stuffer tube. 21mm would be the smallest I recommend. Too much pressure needed to push the paste into the small hole and the additives compound the problem.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Yes and no
10% is the start point on smoked sticks. Any water lose will make the casings shrivel. More water is more shrivel.
What is roughly your meat stick recipe (without divulging any secrets) as far as adds such as protein binders?
I used the Leggs Jalapeño mix and added high melt cheese. I also added curing salt. I did a 70/30% ratio deer to pork. Added 2.5 pounds of water as instructions said. I added another 16 oz. or so of water prior to stuffing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky