COS mods - 2 stacks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
Hey, I’m looking for some advice. I first got into smoking about 2 years ago just doing what I could with my char broil American gourmet 30 inch barrel grill. My wonderful wife got me the matching offset smoker for a Father’s Day gift this year. I have already modified it into a reverse flow set up. I cut my rf plate out of 3/16 steel. Started with a 4 inch gap on the non firebox side but then opened it up to 5 inch after the first cook. I’ve also got some small holes drilled strategically placed to help heat distribution. So far so good, still a work in progress. This leads me to my question. I have put my measurements in the smoker calculator online to see if there are any major problems with my plans. I’ve known all along I would have to do some kind of custom exhaust stack because mine doesn’t have one at all. It has a puny damper on each side. I want the stack to be close to the grating but there isn’t much useable space in the middle of the side without compromising the strength of the lid. I know these things are kind of cheap. Does anyone see any issues with mounting 2 smaller stacks on the firebox side of the CC for my reverse flow setup? To get close to the stack volume it says I need on the calculator I’m planning two 2 1/2 inch stacks about 8-9 inches long mounted down close to the grating. It seems like this would also help to distribute the heat and smoke evenly front to back as well. I’m just concerned that maybe it won’t draft correctly. Any opinions? I’m open to all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky