Cornell Chicken in the New Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
Got my new kettle set up and decided to break it in with some Cornell chicken. This is a favorite around here in the summer time, and the only way I'll do chicken on the grill. Been cooking it on a gasser for years, but this is only my second attempt on charcoal. Definitely still working on getting it dialed in. I used the applewood Kingsford briquettes. Definitely give a better taste than boring old propane.

Didn't get a picture of how I had it set up for most of the cook. I had the baskets on either side with the chicken lined up between them. Once I got them pretty much done and seared the skin, I rearranged everything to get some good high heat on the broccoli.
20220605_192357.jpg

Ran it around 325 for an hour and a half. That applewood charcoal put of a nice smelling smoke. In the past, I've used lump with apple chunks. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
20220605_184746.jpg

The broccoli was grilled with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a hefty bit of minced garlic. I'm not sure exactly what the wife did to the sweet potatoes, but I know there was balsamic involved.
20220605_193650.jpg

All together, I'm definitely happy with the new kettle. I still haven't decided if it was worth it to upgrade to the premium, but its not going anywhere.

It all looks great. I love sweet potatoes with balsamic. I’ve never heard of Cornell chicken. Is it a special rub or method?
Its more like a marinade or mopping sauce. We also call it state fair chicken. There is a Pops sticky at the top of the poultry forum with some links.

If there were such a thing as NY style barbecue, this would be it. Its a standard part of any fair, church dinner, firehouse dinner, or municipal event around here. If you drive through any small town in upstate NY in the summer, you'll see signs for "Chicken BBQ" and this is what their serving. It'll usually be half or quarter birds.

Nice work . Love the fireman's chicken method . It smells so good when it's cooking . Reminds me of my Dad grilling with a Falstaff long neck in one hand .
I use the Dr. Baker recipe Pop's posted . Over the coals start to finish .

Nice work on that . Good lookin kettle too . Great meal right there .
It's all ready been decided the upgrade was worth it .

Reactions: bauchjw and Nate52
Nice work . Love the fireman's chicken method . It smells so good when it's cooking . Reminds me of my Dad grilling with a Falstaff long neck in one hand .
I use the Dr. Baker recipe Pop's posted . Over the coals start to finish .

Nice work on that . Good lookin kettle too . Great meal right there .
It's all ready been decided the upgrade was worth it .
I do it direct on the gas grill, but still learning how to control the heat with charcoal. I'll get the courage to go for it eventually.

Reactions: chopsaw
I think I missed the hook on the lid more times than I found it. Luckily never dropped it, though.
The lid hook takes some practice. I usualy just set the lid on the wrought iron picnic table or the smaller coffee table.

That’s some nice chicken, I love the firemans chicken. Nothing smells more like summer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky