Cool view of SpaceX takeoff from Vandenburg, CA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
We were watching the launch of SpaceX from our front yard and the vapor trail from takeoff made a shadow that went across the evening sky.

2024_04_01_spacex.jpg

Nice. Every now and then we get to see a launch from Wallops Island. Been a few years since the last one was visible.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Living here in Fl. (Tampa area)... I get to see it often (if skys are clear) from Cape Canaveral .. Back when they were sending space shuttles off they did a night launch (more than one)... But it was a very clear night and the BIG orange ball going up was clear as day... That was actually pretty cool...

How about the ISS (International Space Station)... That's pretty cool to see too... That thing hauls ass at over 1700 MPH (5 miles a second)... Here's a web site where you can check for viewing times in your area.. It will be a bright steady light (no flashing or blinking) ... Just put your zip code in and it will give you dates/time/path ...

I haven't viewed a launch in some time. When I remember, it is usually overcast.
I do remember back to the 90's when we came down here. Heard the sonic boom as the rocket rose.
10 days later, the sonic boom when the shuttle landed. Locals smiled and said "shuttle's home".
One year we were out at Cocoa Beach when the 747 carried the shuttle back to Canaveral.
That was too cool.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Living here in Fl. (Tampa area)... I get to see it often (if skys are clear) from Cape Canaveral .. Back when they were sending space shuttles off they did a night launch (more than one)... But it was a very clear night and the BIG orange ball going up was clear as day... That was actually pretty cool...

How about the ISS (International Space Station)... That's pretty cool to see too... That thing hauls ass at over 1700 MPH (5 miles a second)... Here's a web site where you can check for viewing times in your area.. It will be a bright steady light (no flashing or blinking) ... Just put your zip code in and it will give you dates/time/path ...

In the mid 90's I was on a work trip to Kissimmee, FL and we took a tour of Cape Canaveral. One of the shuttles was on the launch pad but not yet fueled up so we got nice and close to it. That was amazing. I would have loved to watch it launch in person.

It looks like they are using Vandenburg a lot more frequently. I see 11 launches planned in the month of August alone. The last two were better because they were just at dusk and you could actually see the booster falling back to earth.

I haven't viewed a launch in some time. When I remember, it is usually overcast.
I do remember back to the 90's when we came down here. Heard the sonic boom as the rocket rose.
10 days later, the sonic boom when the shuttle landed. Locals smiled and said "shuttle's home".
One year we were out at Cocoa Beach when the 747 carried the shuttle back to Canaveral.
That was too cool.

One of the coolest "shuttle" things was when they brought the Endeavour to LA. It flew all around the Los Angels area on the back of the 747 and landed at LAX. Then it made it's way to the California Science Center pulled by a Toyota Tundra. Quite the spectical.

Reactions: JLeonard
One of the coolest "shuttle" things was when they brought the Endeavour to LA. It flew all around the Los Angels area on the back of the 747 and landed at LAX. Then it made it's way to the California Science Center pulled by a Toyota Tundra. Quite the spectical.
Speaking of the shuttle.

When my wife was an ATC at EAFB she used to work the 747 for outbound and landings, and shuttle for inbound.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky