Concerned about color of belly.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have never had a belly or loin have this much of a color difference. Is it cool to smoke? It has been in the cure/brine for about a month. This is the outside of each. I usually stir them every few days but I got distracted this time.

O7t2l6V.jpg

36VyQwG.jpg

I get that sometimes, even with Dry Curing.
It's some parts getting more air & some parts against each other.
Not a problem. The important color is the color of the inside center after it's done curing.

BTW: You can check with Pops on the length of time in Brine Cure. A month is probably near the limit. If there's a problem, he'll know.

Bear

Last edited:
The brown spots are from where the meat was exposed to oxygen.
If you fry up a piece it will turn red.
Al

I get that sometimes, even with Dry Curing.
It's some parts getting more air & some parts against each other.
Not a problem. The important color is the color of the inside center after it's done curing.

BTW: You can check with Pops on the length of time in Brine Cure. A month is probably near the limit. If there's a problem, he'll know.

Bear

The longer it sits the more muscle breakdown that can happen. I'm pretty sure he has gone in the 45-day range. With the brine, you can't soak too long. I usually go about 25 days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky