Computer Crash!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beer-b-q

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 1, 2007
Hey everyone, had a major computer crash yesterday and haven't been around much yesterday and today...
mad.gif

I have some pictures to post on a successful trade with zjaybird, and will post a thread once I get back online with my main computer, this one doesn't have an SD Card Reader.

Just thought I would let everyone know why I am not on all day as usual and if you send me a PM why it may take a while to respond...

I am going to be switching out my hard drive so It will take a while...

Good luck my friend, hope it all goes well.

Me Too, As soon as I get done reading and posting I am going to start on it but dread it...

damn computers, I was having trouble with my wifes laptop yesterday as well, Netwrk password reset issue.

good luck with your computer glitch.

My Hard drive keeps freezing up and I get a warning it is about to fail...

Hey, if you get this before it's too late, go to the following web site:
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Drive snapshot is a lot like Ghost. It will very quickly make an image of your hard drive to a single file. It's a single file so doesn't require install and you can run it on the live version you are imaging. Just make sure you get that image on a different computer fast.

You can download a 30 demo for free. Even after the 30 days, you will always be able to view the files on the image. It sounds like your drive is going to fail no matter what you do. This is the safest way to make sure you get all the files you want. You can even dump the image back on to the new hard drive.

PM me if you have questions (but, as I recall, I was thinking you were into the IT field, so perhaps you're already all over it)

Thanks for the link, It will save me a lot of time I hope... I dreaded reloading all my programs.

I am going to be installing a 750GB WD harddrive to repace the one going out, it is only a 250 Maxtor...

Well I.m off to play with my hard drive, wish me luck...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck hope all comes out good I had a hard drive go bad with no warning a few months ago what a disaster lots of lost info mostly bookmarked info

I put all my valuable stuff on a 16gb cruiser , 20 minutes later the hard drive went south totally without warning. What incredible luck as my last backup was over a year ago. Now I backup every week and probably should do it once a day.

Thats why I keep all my important stuff on a few other drives... But then again, I think I cry for days if I lost all my music and movies. Ive been thinking about just formating my C drive and give it a nice fresh install. I just hate how long it takes.

I run a mirror on my system (your data is saved simultaneously to 2 identical drives)

Helps when you have a hardware crash. You just replace the failed drive, and resynch all data from the redundant one.

Geek - you sure you can load the image onto a different box? I know Ghost wouldn't do that, since the HAL is different. This software looks good.

Good luck with the PC man

-polish

I'm Back, Still don't have my good system up and running so I am on my old backup system still.

When I got my new drive I wanted Seagate but they didn't have what I wanted. I had a choice of WD or Samsung
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
so I took WD...

Hope to get everything finished tomorrow...

Yep, it's the reason why I use snapshot in my shop. You can make a live image of the machine you are working on (I do it remotely across the network at work. It runs the background, and the user has no idea it's running). You can then restore the image to a new drive. If the partition sizes don't match, it will resize it for you. Has saved my butt several times....even on a server.

I wrote a program that scans my network and makes sure I have an image that is no older than 2 weeks for every computer in my shop. Once it sees an outdated image, it fires a new one off. If their drive fails, they only lose 2 weeks of work. They still whine and moan about the 2 weeks, at which point I remind them of the benefits of a network (I leave out big works like "idiot" and "it's your own fault...moron"). It all accounts for about 3TB of data.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky