New Here - Bit of an Odd Ask

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

5pigeons

Original poster
Jan 28, 2024
Hello! I'm a college student from North Carolina, and I'm very new to smoking meats.

I am currently studying product design and am working on a project surrounding food preservation. One of the methods I was looking at is curing/smoking meats, and I am considering designing something for this. I guess my main question is are there any problems or annoyances you guys have found with various smoking methods, ingredients or devices? I came across this forum while researching smoking and its been a very helpful resource, so I look forward to hearing anything you all wish to share.

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy, and welcome to the forum.
Types of smoking/curing/preservation depends somewhat on what you are making.
If you can provide more details, I am sure you will get a lot of responses.

I don't know that there is anything novel you could design as far as curing/smoking.

Curing is just a matter of applying the proper amounts of nitrites and salt to the weight of the meat being cured.

As far as smoking the cured meats, there are many ways already available from pellet grills/vertical smokers, smoke generators, pellet tubes, wood dust trays, to automated electric cabinet smokers.

I don't know what else you could design that isn't covered.

How about a scale that will dispense the proper amounts of rub ingredients automatically when you set the meat on the weighing pan. You should be able to punch in the percentages of what you're using prior to actual weighing of the protein.

Chris

Hello! I'm a college student from North Carolina, and I'm very new to smoking meats.

I am currently studying product design and am working on a project surrounding food preservation. One of the methods I was looking at is curing/smoking meats, and I am considering designing something for this. I guess my main question is are there any problems or annoyances you guys have found with various smoking methods, ingredients or devices? I came across this forum while researching smoking and its been a very helpful resource, so I look forward to hearing anything you all wish to share.
Welcome from Colorado.

You say “Food preservation “ are you looking for shelf stable products, or extended refrigeration products?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky