Complete Noob ? - Wood n Potato

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isutroutbum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 5, 2009
Hi All,

This is probably a dumb question, but in a lot of q-view I see a thermometer stuck in either a potato or a hunk of wood - is this for taking the temp in the smoker, or for ballparking the temp in the meat? I'm guessing it is the former, but I'm not sure. I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything.

Again, I know this probably a stupid question, so don't laugh too awful hard (or go ahead if you want, it's ok ;).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Trout

Yup its the former. used for taking the internal temp of the smoker..the wood/potato is used to keep the probe off of the cooking surface....so as not to get an incorrect temp

Thanks folks. Keeping it off the grate is a good idea. :) I appreciate the responses.

Best,
Trout

Keeps blisters from forming on your fingers when you get in a hurry and forget to put on your gloves.

Throwing the hot probe down while jumping up and down while swearing and immediately grabbing an ice cold beer also helps fingers from blistering (or so I'm told
icon_lol.gif
).

I use wood/cork because it's more permanent. Potatoes work too, i guess, but that requires remembering or fetching a potato every time you smoke.

My potato has been used many times. It is now black as coal.

I usually put it on top.

Good question Chopper. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking, and thanks for the responses folks.

Best,
Trout

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky