Cold Smoked Coho Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you. Can't wait to get home tonight and have some more.

Pulling sockeye out of the freezer tonight. For another round.

That salmon with the blue cheese dip?  Amazing combo--nice work, atomic.  I've done similar with salmon skin side down on foil, the skin sticks to the foil, and the meat literally slides off.  Some smoke is choked off by the foil, it sure makes it easier for me.  I'll have to try your method soon.  Well done, sir.

Thank you Groucho. The coho tail/belly pieces and the trout were hot smoked in a big chief smoker.

The meat just comes off the skin after cooking.

The blue cheese dip was made with (home made) mayo. While that tasty, the yoghurt based blue cheese dip pairs better with coooked fish (imo at least).

Time for another round

20171018_202747-1.jpg

I trimmed the thin parts and now is in the fridge covered in salt

I had some sockeye trim in the freezer too. But even with that it wasn't enough for a happy full Big Chief. So i got about 8lbs of trout. Here it is dry curing with the bellies and the tails.
20171022_121423-1.jpg

I think the pellicle acts as a natural casing... keeping moisture and fat inside while allowing for smoke penetration... I've smoked fish both ways UNTIL I learned about a pellicle.. same with pork and beef.. Now I make sure all meat has a pellicle.. makes a big difference in the finished product... IMO...
The trout looks awesome...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky