Citrus Ginger Pork Tenderloin - Smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinnbrewin

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Indiana
I've had a pork tenderloin marinating in this today (found the recipe online somewhere) and I was wondering if I should just straight up grill it directly or smoke it. I'm using a big green egg. If so, what type of wood chips would be good with these types of flavors. I just don't want the smoke to hide the marinade.

Here's the marinade:

3 tbs. frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tbs. grainy Dijon mustard
2 tbs. each honey, oil, soy sauce
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. ginger
pepper to taste

What do you think?

Reactions: seenred
The tenderloin is a pretty small piece of meat, but some smoke would really compliment the flavors.  I would go with something mild like a peach or pecan wood, but don't rule out a very light smoke with hickory.

Try the reverse sear method with this...keep it in the smoke indirect until the IT reaches about 120 then put in on the hot grill to get a nice char!

It's done when the IT reaches 140 (should only take about two minutes on each side) but be sure to let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Good luck and be sure to post some q-view!!!

Bill

Nice thanks! As to the amount of wood to use (still new at this), how much do you want to use for something like this? Also, some people are cooking these at 400F a and some are going low and slow around 225F. I'm leaning slow. Maybe crank it up to sear towards the end...

The tenderloin is a pretty small piece of meat, but some smoke would really compliment the flavors.  I would go with something mild like a peach or pecan wood, but don't rule out a very light smoke with hickory.

Try the reverse sear method with this...keep it in the smoke indirect until the IT reaches about 120 then put in on the hot grill to get a nice char!

It's done when the IT reaches 140 (should only take about two minutes on each side) but be sure to let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Good luck and be sure to post some q-view!!!

Bill

Took the words right outta my mouth. IMHO, Pecan wood would be ideal for the flavor profile you are aiming for. I use wood chunks and splits rather than chips, but Im sure someone will chime in to help you out! Looking forward to seeing the result :popcorn

Well this was a success! Couldn't find pecan wood but used apple instead. I will definitely be making this one again. One thing I noticed is that once the temp got into the low 130s, it kind of slowed down and took almost another hour to get up to 150F (what I shot for).

Probably one of the best pork tenderloins i've had in a loong time. I was concerned that going low and slow would dry it out but it definitely did not!

uzunagus.jpg

Looks great!  Nice call on the apple, I like a nice mild wood for pork tenderloins too.  I'm saving your marinade recipe to try myself another day.  Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Thanks! I might have found the marinade recipe on this site somewhere or it might've been another. I let it soak for 24hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky