Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
It's been awhile since I made up some chuck roast burnt ends and seeing a few lately put me in the mood for them. I pulled two chuck's out of the freezer in anticipation of smoking on Sunday since the weather was going to be absolutely beautiful (sunny and high 70s is a great day for April in PA).

This time I wanted to try them cubing them first and I must say I really like this method. More bark, more flavor, less time. First, the chucks were cubed and seasoned with SPOG plus chili powder and paprika. I seasoned and tossed them in a bowl.
IMG_8641.jpg

I'm using the 560 today. Lump charcoal in the hopper with a few chunks of cherry and hickory scattered throughout. Smoker temp was 265F.
IMG_8642.jpg

The chuck cubes were smoked for about 2.5 hours until I was happy with how the outside looked. I sprayed them a few times with a mixture of beef broth and water. Even though I was smoking for looks, I probed them anyway and the IT ranged from 155-160F throughout all the pieces. Here they are prior to going in the pan.
IMG_8646.jpg

Next, I placed the meat in a foil pan and added 1/2 cup beef broth and 1 cup of BBQ sauce. I used RodFather's premium BBQ sauce. It's definitely on the sweeter side so I did not add any brown sugar or honey to them.
IMG_8649.jpg

After foiling the burnt ends, I cranked the smoker up to 275F and cooked for about two more hours. Once two hours were up, I squeezed a bunch for tenderness. They were done at this point. Here's the burnt ends after removing the foil.
IMG_8651.jpg

Since I had the smoker still going, I decided to cook up some asparagus for a side while the meat rested. The asparagus were tossed in EVOO salt and pepper and laid on a cookie sheet. I cooked them for about 12 minutes in the 560 with the heat turned up to 400F. I covered the burnt ends and popped them in the oven to stay warm while the rest of the meal came together.
IMG_8653.jpg

Plated with a big salad.
IMG_8656.jpg

They look pretty dark don't they? The chuck roast burnt ends came out pretty darn good and tender, they were great for such a quick smoke. When I make them again, I'll definitely cube them up first!
IMG_8655.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Fantastic Joe

I will have to try your way , last time I did some they were still tough. I was told that I pulled them out of the heat / smoker too soon.

They look great , and I just ate but could suck a few of those back

David

Those loooooooook tastyyyyyyyyy! Very nice work! Love spring time right!

Nice! Those look so tasty, perfect burnt ends! Congrats on the ride for an awesome cook!

Over the fence and out of the park Joe, fantastic piece of work! Grats on the ride, well deserved! RAY

Those look fantastic! Think I better jump on the wagon with Winterrider Winterrider since I've never made them before either.

Ryan

Fantastic Joe

I will have to try your way , last time I did some they were still tough. I was told that I pulled them out of the heat / smoker too soon.

They look great , and I just ate but could suck a few of those back

David

Thank you David! These weren’t tender until after the two hour braise in the broth and bbq sauce. I liked them better than smoking a whole chuck roast that took me a lot longer to develop a nice bark.

They look excellent. Have never made burnt ends, better get with the program :emoji_wink:

Thank you Rider! I have never done true burnt ends from a brisket before. A packer is just too expensive for just the two of us here. A chuck roast is a pretty tasty compromise.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Those loooooooook tastyyyyyyyyy! Very nice work! Love spring time right!

Thanks CS! The bbq sauce I used is very dark and big on the molasses, it’s what made them so dark but they were tasty! This was a pretty hands off smoke while I got the first mow of the year in.

I'd eat your chuck nuggets anytime! :emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you! Iove this description! This is what I’ll them from now on…chuck nuggets!

Nice job Joe. I would take down a few pans of that!

Thank you! I thought I would have been able to eat more, but they fill you up fast and I’m a big eater.

Nothing wrong with a second night dinner :emoji_blush:
D48EBE9E-7B8B-45ED-BE84-870B112B790B.jpeg

Nice! Those look so tasty, perfect burnt ends! Congrats on the ride for an awesome cook!

Thank you Ned! And congratulations to you as well. If these were currency, I’d trade a few for one of those beef ribs, those are a bucket list thing for me.

Reactions: bauchjw
Over the fence and out of the park Joe, fantastic piece of work! Grats on the ride, well deserved! RAY

Thanks Ray! The chuck nuggets were tasty! I think these are something you would like for sure!

Joe They look great, great idea cubing from the start.
Richie

Thanks Richie, I appreciate it and great to see you again! I can’t say they’re my idea, I followed Malcolm Reed on these by cubing them beforehand…but I must say I’m glad I gave it a go. I liked them much better this way.

One of the best back on the spinner!! Great job Joe. These things look perfect. I’d eat way to many of them for sure. I agree on cubing ahead too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky