CHRISTMAS TURKEY PROBLEM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

djsmokesupreme

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Neptune Beach, Florida
My smoked turkey breasts have become a required part of our Christmas meals with our extended family. I'm expected to produce flawlessly delicious turkey, a challenge which I am happy to accept.

Here's my problem this year. My sister-in-law, who lives about an hour away, is hosting. Dinner is a 1:30 p.m. and we're expected to be there at 12:00 noon. No problem, right? Start the fire at 7:00, put the breasts in the cooler to rest at 10:00, shower and hit the road at 11:00.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has now informed me, in no uncertain terms, that I will be smoking the turkey breasts the day before and refrigerating them overnight. She says cooking will disrupt our Christmas morning too much. I would rather not serve them, than serve them cold and dried out.

What's a smokin' brother to do? Has anyone got a suggestion about how I can serve warm, moist smoked turkey without torquing off my wife?

Me personally, would probably still smoke em just because..hell your smoking some meat. Also kind of seems like a nice little challenge to up your game. Sounds to me like you accomplish the tasks and everyone still loves them, boom! nice little confidence booster. Now I have also never smoked Turkey breast so not sure if changing your cook time will actually ruin the flavor profile your going for.

Best of luck.. let us know what happens.

I have been cooking Turkey a day or more ahead for years. Smoke to an IT of 150°. Wrap and refrigerate. You can slice, pan, cover and reheat in some Broth or Gravy to 160. Or reheat the wrapped breasts as described above, again no higher than 160°F...JJ

This is the exact type of problem a sous vide was made for. Smoke your turkey breast the day before as your wife wants you to do. Let them cool, vacuseal or bag up in ziplock bags and refrigerate over night. Warm up in the sv the next day an hour or so before dinner and your golden.

Scott

My smoked turkey breasts have become a required part of our Christmas meals with our extended family. I'm expected to produce flawlessly delicious turkey, a challenge which I am happy to accept.

Here's my problem this year. My sister-in-law, who lives about an hour away, is hosting. Dinner is a 1:30 p.m. and we're expected to be there at 12:00 noon. No problem, right? Start the fire at 7:00, put the breasts in the cooler to rest at 10:00, shower and hit the road at 11:00.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has now informed me, in no uncertain terms, that I will be smoking the turkey breasts the day before and refrigerating them overnight. She says cooking will disrupt our Christmas morning too much. I would rather not serve them, than serve them cold and dried out.

What's a smokin' brother to do? Has anyone got a suggestion about how I can serve warm, moist smoked turkey without torquing off my wife?

I like what chefjj suggests.
I have smoked boneless skinless cured and brined turkey breast for sandwich meat purposes and when I pulled them from the smoker I let them cool just enough to vac seal them whole in big vac seal bags. This allowed no juice or moisture or anything to escape.
I'm sure something like this would work wonders for you as well and if you wanted to even boil reheat you could should an oven not be available.

I figure this bit of info would be some good food for thought as you work through your approaches :)

I finished my bone in turkey breasts this year by wrapping in foil and pouring my fav sauce over it for the final hour. It was the best turkey I've done. I used Carolina classic sticky fingers. For the next few days of eating leftovers, it remained super moist.

I would reheat in the oven wrapped in foil with a little liquid the morning of, and then wrap in a towel and stuff in a cooler until mealtime. Better yet, tell her you will smoke the turkey the day before if she will apply her makeup the day before and expect it look the same the next day!
How about YOU tell her?

Reactions: Shootr
Some good suggestions so far.

I'm gonna recommend that you wet brine or inject those breasts before smoking.
If you already do, here's to you.
If you dont already, give it a go.
Really helps keep it juicy.

And I'll second vacuum packing them for easy reheat in sous vide, water bath or microwave.

6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN
Thanks for the laugh.

Some good suggestions so far.

I'm gonna recommend that you wet brine or inject those breasts before smoking.
If you already do, here's to you.
If you dont already, give it a go.
Really helps keep it juicy.

And I'll second vacuum packing them for easy reheat in sous vide, water bath or microwave.

6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN
Thanks for the laugh.
Thanks. I like the idea of using the sous vide to rewarm them, also. I'm going to go with that. I always either brine or inject. You're right, it does wonders about keeping them moist. I inject with equal parts chicken stock, apple juice and bourbon. Tastes wonderful!

This is the exact type of problem a sous vide was made for. Smoke your turkey breast the day before as your wife wants you to do. Let them cool, vacuseal or bag up in ziplock bags and refrigerate over night. Warm up in the sv the next day an hour or so before dinner and your golden.

Scott
I think this is the way to go. Would you suggest vacu-sealing them on the bone, or deboneing and vacu-sealing the unsliced half breasts?

I would agree with what Scott said: If you have SV device and opportunity to use it in your sister-in-low house - do it.
I never re-heated turkey breast before but I successful re-heated stakes with SV. Medium rare 2" stake re-heated at 131F for about 40 min stays medium rear and juicy after re-heating. I am pretty sure this will work for your turkey breast but with different temperature set on SV device ....

Removing the bone saves space and let's you reheat faster. Use the bones to make Broth for making gravy, soup or other uses...JJ

I think this is the way to go. Would you suggest vacu-sealing them on the bone, or deboneing and vacu-sealing the unsliced half breasts?

My vote is to debone before you even brine or inject. This way you are not tearing into the meat at all losing juice or pieces of meat. Then when they are done smoking you just toss into your vac seal bags, seal, and you are ready to rock!

This would also eliminate all work on the day of travel EXCEPT the reheat work which you must do anyhow:)
No cutting, no mess, no people getting in the way, no problems :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky