Christmas Goose

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HarrisonBergeron

Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Stamford, CT/Astoria, NY
Made the aggressive decision to smoke a Christmas Goose this year (in the tradition of Dickens). I haven't been smoking for very long (started this summer, have done a couple pork butts, two chickens, a turkey, ribs, and prime rib), so it was a bit ambitious, but think it actually turned out very well. Owe a lot to all the tips and advice I've picked up from lurking on this site.

As everyone notes, its amazing how much fat is in a goose. Literally had to scoop out a ton of congealed fat from the cavity before I could get it ready. Brined it overnight (salt/brown sugar in water). Pricked the skin all over to allow for the fat to drain out during cooking. Stuffed a quartered onion, orange and some celery inside the cavity, and applied a rub of salt, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, sage, white and black pepper, and thyme. Was skeptical of the Cajun rub, but it was actually tremendous.

Smoked it at about 225 using pecan chunks. A great way to spend Christmas morning out on the patio with a fire going in the fire pit! Didn't take much more than 2 hours to get the goose to an internal temperature of about 165 (which is quicker than most of the recipes predicted, and as it isn't the first time its happened, makes me suspect that my smoker might actually be running hotter than the temperature gauge indicates).

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of it carved because it went so quickly, but was a nice pink/red color. In any event, family loved it, and I'll definitely try to replicate and improve upon this next Christmas!

IMG_7086 (003).JPG
IMG_7089 (003).JPG
IMG_7090 (003).JPG
IMG_7091 (003).JPG
IMG_7093 (003).JPG
IMG_7094.JPG

Very nice! I've never cooked a goose but i'd say your therm is way off since it was done that quickly.For reference I cook 7.5 # turkey breasts pretty often and they take 3.5-4 hrs @~285.Again I have never cooked a goose,maybe they cook a lot faster.I'd check your therm using the boil test method and if you can invest in a remote therm.What did the recipe give you for time and temp?

Yup. Forsake what the gauge says on the top of the smoker! Its not going to be even close. See that little grey rubber grommet right below the handle in your picture? That is for placing remote therm probes through. Use one in the bird and one clipped to the grate right beside it (not touching).

It looks like it turned out good, I would recommend a remote temp. probe. I have never done a goose yet, it is on the list though. Good job...

Thanks all, I had a feeling this was exactly the issue. Will take your recommendation and invest in a remote probe; exciting to know that as good as everything I've made so far has tasted, it will only get better once I've got the right equipment and approach!

I have never done a goose, because I have heard that they are very hard to get right.
But after seeing yours I may have to accept the challenge!
Thanks for motivating me to give it a try!
Al

I have cooked and smoked countless Canada Geese. The one Harrison Bergeron smoked seems to be of the domestic variety. The muscle tissue of Canada Geese is much darker in color due to the constant usage of their flight muscles. They can be "oily" if you leave the skin on but not nearly as much as the domestic species.

It appears that he did a great job smoking it and I am sure it was delicious!

Nice job Harrison!

John

I have cooked and smoked countless Canada Geese. The one Harrison Bergeron smoked seems to be of the domestic variety. The muscle tissue of Canada Geese is much darker in color due to the constant usage of their flight muscles. They can be "oily" if you leave the skin on but not nearly as much as the domestic species.

It appears that he did a great job smoking it and I am sure it was delicious!

Nice job Harrison!

John
So average time and temp?
How long for one of those plump golf course specimens,they are abundant and easy to bag :D

Plucking a Canada Goose can be quite a project unless you possess a mechanical plucker. I have smoked whole geese as well as the breasts in various ways. My all time favorite is Rolled Goose Breasts.

Average time and temperature of course depends on your smoker. If you stick with 225˚ for 1.5 to 2 hours and an internal temperature of 165˚ you should be fine. Control is the key here. Can't let the meat cook too long or it becomes dried out.

For those interested here is my favorite recipe:

Grilled Rolled Goose/Duck Breasts

1. Marinate the breasts in your favorite marinade for 24 hours. (I have a great one for those interested).
2. Place the breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half almost to the end (butterfly them).
3. Place them on the grill and open them so the pocket side is on the grill. Grill for a minute or so enough to brown the inside.
4. Pull them off the grill. In the pocket lay a slice of smoked Gouda, strips of red and yellow bell peppers, and a "glob" of cream cheese.*
5. Close the pocket, wrap and roll the breast with a strip of bacon to fully close, and secure with a toothpick.
6. Place on the covered grill at medium heat for 9 minutes on each side.

Serve with wild rice, a good red wine, and Enjoy!

* Of course any cheese or pepper combination can be substituted to suit your tastes. I have used Jalapeno Peppers and Pepperjack Cheese for a kicked up version of this recipe.

Happy New Year Everyone!

John

Last edited:
That sounds amazing! Will have to try next year!

Plucking a Canada Goose can be quite a project unless you possess a mechanical plucker. I have smoked whole geese as well as the breasts in various ways. My all time favorite is Rolled Goose Breasts.

Average time and temperature of course depends on your smoker. If you stick with 225˚ for 1.5 to 2 hours and an internal temperature of 165˚ you should be fine. Control is the key here. Can't let the meat cook too long or it becomes dried out.

For those interested here is my favorite recipe:

Grilled Rolled Goose/Duck Breasts

1. Marinate the breasts in your favorite marinade for 24 hours. (I have a great one for those interested).
2. Place the breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half almost to the end (butterfly them).
3. Place them on the grill and open them so the pocket side is on the grill. Grill for a minute or so enough to brown the inside.
4. Pull them off the grill. In the pocket lay a slice of smoked Gouda, strips of red and yellow bell peppers, and a "glob" of cream cheese.*
5. Close the pocket, wrap and roll the breast with a strip of bacon to fully close, and secure with a toothpick.
6. Place on the covered grill at medium heat for 9 minutes on each side.

Serve with wild rice, a good red wine, and Enjoy!

* Of course any cheese or pepper combination can be substituted to suit your tastes. I have used Jalapeno Peppers and Pepperjack Cheese for a kicked up version of this recipe.

Happy New Year Everyone!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky