Choice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqbrisket

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
North Jersey
Aside from tenderness and dryness, has anyone really noticed a difference in taste between Standard Choice and Angus Choice?
Thanks

I haven't, despite the hype. Technically an animal only has to be more than 50% black to be called angus. I'm sure more than a few are being "mis-identified" at the plant.
I can taste sweet, bitter, sour, hot ect. but I can't taste color.

• Haha
Reactions: Cajun Smokes
By the time I season the meat for grilling, and then have the flavor of the smoke and such from the grill, little to no difference. However, if talking stew and roast, I do notice a difference although somewhat slight.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've had really good standard choice and really crappy standard choice. But I've never had crappy Angus choice. So I would have to say yes, I've noticed a difference.

Edit: I'm gonna back off from the above comment because my main problem with the "crappy standard choice" was actually the toughness. That's what stood out. I can't comment on a flavor or taste difference because all I remember was the toughness of the low end choice which kind of ruined the expectations. I've since learned how to avoid low-end choice.

Last edited:
Having eaten a lot of beef from animals raised on my farm, I call BS on the Angus hype. All beef breeds are capable of producing excellent beef. All comes down to how they're fed before slaughter. Heck, Jerseys make for excellent beef if fattened up right.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Tip for best tenderness, process a big calf while it's still sucking milk from its mama. Less yield, but you get steaks you can cut with a fork.
Isn't that veal Doug? Growing up it was readily available. Not so much anymore.

Chris

I reckon the average weight for beefs getting slaughtered for steaks is around 1200 pounds. The older they get, the tougher they get.

Reactions: Retired Spook
We raised angus and hereford. I doubt that many people could tell the difference if the calves were slaughtered at the same age.

There's some 'mature' beef hitting the market now that couldn't be sold last year and had to be carried over. Caveat emptor!

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
We raised angus and hereford. I doubt that many people could tell the difference if the calves were slaughtered at the same age.
I doubt it too. I've eaten meat from solid black calves, red calves, Charolais, and one is about as good as the other provided they are fed similarly and killed around the same age.

Yeah, Holsteins are nasty as beef. I believe it's mainly where they don't carry enough fat. Fat is flavor.

Wrong key stroke
Jerseys carry much more fat, but a Holstein past veal is the nastiest beef. Think your favorite canned soup is where it goes.

Hmmm. I used to raise Holstein heifers for 10 years. Bought them a calves, we ate the ones that didn't get bred. I can't believe you could tell the difference between them and a beef. We raised them with the beef. They are very good and fed very good.

Yeah, Holsteins are nasty as beef. I believe it's mainly where they don't carry enough fat. Fat is flavor.

Our Holsteins were pretty fatty,. Heifers that ate the same as our beef. Finished in 18 months. They were fed well thou. Corn silage, haylage and chop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky