Chips, Chunks or Pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I noticed this about my Master Forge yesterday while smoking some jerky.  If you slide the smoker box into the unit on the top rail of the shelf support vs. between the 2 rails (like you would for a rack) it elevates the smoker box about another inch...seemed to help a bit with the chips/chunks catching on fire - even though I wrap the lid of my smoker box with HD alum foil.  I also started soaking chunks/chips for the Master Forge but I don't wrap the chips/chunks in foil.

I still think it's a heck of a smoker for the price.

-Salt

PS:  I also save the remnants of the chunks from the smoker box - after they've given up the last bit of TBS -  because it turns into lump charcoal.  I use my 'free' lump charcoal in my Weber grill when it's time to grill something.  After a couple 10 or 12 hour smokes in the Master Forge I have quite the bucket of hardwood lump charcoal....

Guess I'm into using every resource....

-Salt

Welcome to the forum sjturbo.

Again with what most are saying Chips are good for smaller fire boxes where chunks will not fit. I have a vertical charcoal smoker and a MES 30'. My vertical I can easily load chunks and my fuel source with no problems. The chunks allow for a even burn along side of the fuel source. If I try to use chips  in the vertical smoker they burn up so fast I end up using most of the bag trying to get the same level of smoke I would from a few chunks. On the flip side if the chips work perfect for the smaller firebox on the MES. There is no way I could load a even a small chunk in the firebox.

I've never used pellets but I have read some reviews about them not being a great idea. Personally, I like to try things once and a second to be sure I don't like it.

Welcome aboard Turbo!

There are so many experienced, friendly, helpful folks that will be able to answer any questions.

Please let us look over your shoulder by sending photos of your rig, and your efforts as well

Good luck!

I'd like to try pellets if I can find someone that sells them locally. But I have been using a planer in my garage to make shavings from apple and hickory tree branches. The shavings start up fast, but they burn up fast too. My firebox is small, and it has to be looked at every half hour,

f94233fb_IMGP0337.jpg

chips and dust catching fire------ try putting in in a good ld heavy aluminum backing pan and setting in just off to the the side of your fire.

they will smolder  and actualy coal out but hardly ever catch fire.

in my case i build a health fire in my box then smother it with wood chips which i gathered from my saw.

Not sure of your area, I have alot of farm stands around me that have all kinds of wood apple peach cherry and so on. I actually made friends with one of the farmers from buying at his roadside stand and in conversation he trims the trees and I stop by now and again and purchase some from him.i have some buddies in my area that do the same thing because the big box stores dont carry anything but hickory and mesquite. 

sjturbo,

I have the smoker that you have. I've only used it once so far. Smoker two beer can style chickens and a 9lb brisket. Worked awesome. Very happy with my first time out. I use a mix of mesquite and apple... both were in chip form. I noticed that they didn't last long. Even when I used chips that I had soaked overnight I had to refill the chip tray a lot... say every 30 minutes. After a while I just did it every hour instead. I went through about two full bags of chips from Lowes. I think they were 180 cubic inches each.

So the recommendation for chips and chunks makes a lot of sense to me. The chips should burn relatively quickly. Hopefully by the time they are gone the chunks will be going and you may get a longer steady smoke from the combination. I've also thought about using soaked chips in half of the tray and dry chips in the other half. The idea here being that the dry chips would burn then later the wet chips would kick in.

I'm a newbie to smoking so this is not backed up by experience, just me applying my melon to the best of my ability. Hoping others may be able to provide input  ;-)

Bill

I was just in Home Depot and they had apple cherry pecan hickory and mesquite in chunks and chips.  I also found about 20 bags of hickory chips at  99 cent store, some great buys in there 5 lbs of potatoes 1 buck big bags of seasonings canned goods big bag of japs 1 buck

I was just in Home Depot and they had apple cherry pecan hickory and mesquite in chunks and chips.  I also found about 20 bags of hickory chips at  99 cent store, some great buys in there 5 lbs of potatoes 1 buck big bags of seasonings canned goods big bag of japs 1 buck
I've never seen pecan at Home Despot around here. They always carry hickory and mesquite (two woods I use the least) and might have apple and cherry for a very short time so I tend to stock up on those when they're available. I've had to order pecan and pay the huge shipping fees.

For the guy on page 1 who asked why we don't have apple wood available here in WA, well our state is divided by the Cascade Mountain range. Most of the people, myself included, live on the west side, while the apple and cherry orchards are almost all on the east side. It is possible to load up on wood, but it's about a 5 or 6 hour trip each way over the mountain passes.

We have some small fruit trees here in my area, but most are not large enough to get much wood out of them. Besides, my neighbors get wary when they see me looking longingly at theirs.

I just got the master forge at Lowes. Last years model. They gave me a great price so I got it. I use both chips and chunks. Get the chips going then the chunks take over. Chunks last longer less time filling it up when the chips burn out. I love my master forge propane smoker. Good luck!!!

In the past I used mostly hickory chips but have been trimming up an apple tree and have used the cut limbs. Along with either hickory or apple chips I buy. Seems to last longer and flavor is great. I also know many orchards cut down some trees in fall so good time to buy apple wood. Most likely same for other fruit woods. I am considering cutting down one of my apple trees Just mix and match till you find what works for you. Cullowheedawg

I am a new smoker and have experimented with both, I like the results with chunks with voids filled with chips. The chips go faster but the chunks linger around for a great smoke flavor.

I use a Landmann Great Smokey Series Gas..

Been a smoker for too many years and have tried them all. Amazn Smoker and pellets works the best of any combination I've tried and saved a lot if sleep on over night smokes!

I burn wood for heat so I've got plenty of oak, ash, hickory, maple, poplar. Can someone answer a couple of questions for me ? Should the wood be dry or green, bark/no bark, Maple ?? , what size "chunks" are we talking about ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky