Chicken wings the good the bad the ugly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Made some oven oriental chicken wings using the baking powder method and they were so so. The glaze I made was of the chain. The seasoning on the wings I need to work on.

Attachments

• 30DE371D-EC27-4357-B9E2-03F34AF1A874.jpeg
    30DE371D-EC27-4357-B9E2-03F34AF1A874.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hopefully baking powder. Baking soda would be terrible.

baking soda is use as a tenderizing agent for meat. I'm not sure what they do for the skin on the wings though.

Baking powder lowers the pH, which helps the skin brown and crisp. Baking soda would do the same, but adds a nasty taste.

I was just looking at that Oklahoma Joe's Bronco you have. That think looks pretty cool.

Ah, I need to update my signature - I sold that a few months ago. It's a great smoker and very well built, but redundant to my other grills and smokers and I needed to thin the herd. I found I didn't really care much for hanging feature, and I found the 18" diameter limiting. They do make it in 22" now, and I think that would have worked better for my needs.

Yes baking powder aluminum free

The wings had a nice crunch just hated the flavor.

The wings look FANTASTIC! What in the flavor didn't you like and how are you going to change it?

I like Serious Eats method for wing prep: A day or at least several hours before toss the wings in a mixture of a teaspoon of cornstarch, teaspoon of baking powder and a teaspoon of salt and let sit in the fridge on a wire rack in a tray. If I've got air chilled wings I'll start the prep first thing in the morning for dinner time wings.

My runaway favorite sauce is buffalo hot. I like to finish them with some parmesan over the top...Outstanding.

I haven't smoked wings much but that's the next project.

Now back on topic, OP what was your initial seasoning and will you please share your "off the chain" glaze? Inquiring minds and all that.........

I like Serious Eats method for wing prep: A day or at least several hours before toss the wings in a mixture of a teaspoon of cornstarch, teaspoon of baking powder and a teaspoon of salt and let sit in the fridge on a wire rack in a tray. If I've got air chilled wings I'll start the prep first thing in the morning for dinner time wings.
If that ratio is for 1 pound of wings, that is saltier than I like them (although a tsp per pound is often quoted). I like the longer drying time, 12 to 24 hours, and I will use my sausage pricker and poke holes in the skin. I do the same on drumsticks.

I used to much Chinese 5 spice powder and I think my ratio of baking powder to the amount of chicken was off. I used 1Tbsp per pound. I think it was to much baking powder. The glaze was spot on. I used equal parts honey and chili garlic sauce splash of fish sauce splash of low sodium soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. I used a micro plain grated some fresh ginger and zest of one lime and it was spot on.

For the chicken
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tablespoon habanero powder
  • 2 teaspoons chinese five spice
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion powder.

And 5 tablespoons baking powder was using 5lbs of chicken.

I guess it's really just J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's show not Serious Eats....but that's where I'm getting the idea.

And here is the Kenji article that explained why this works for baked wings. And like I mentioned above, play around with the salt and drying times.

Reactions: Chickenwings
I agree 3eye....Kenji is great and his explanations are interesting. I'll echo once more to play around with amounts to find out what YOU Like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky