Chicken Wing Rub and sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
My mom is coming up to visit this weekend, and I definitely need to show off my new toy (WSM). We have plans for most of the weekend and won't be around to babysit the smoker all day. I've decided to do something quick and (hopefully) easy....CHICKEN WINGS!

I usually use a pre-made rub on my chicken, but it's loaded full of salt and I know she won't like it.

Please help me out, I'm looking for a homemade rub that isn't too salty, isn't too sugary, and goes well with chicken, and if you have a homemade bbq sauce to compliment the rub, even better!
(Homemade is preferred, since I'm in Canada and don't have the same pre-made goodies that most of you in the US have)

Thank you in advance :)

Jeff's original rub and BBQ sauce come to mind. It is a low salt mixture.
You of course can make your own rub and limit the salt content as you desire.

Here is an AP rub recipe you can try.

Sugarless rub:

2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon thyme

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

2 tablespoons cayenne

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper

Would work well on chicken IMHO.

JC :emoji_cat:

A Simple BBQ sauce can be made with the following:

Ketchup
Honey
cider vinegar or lemon juice
Worcestershire
garlic
black pepper
cayenne

Adjust ingredients to taste.

I can give you more accurate measurements if needed.

I don't use a rub on wings - so I'm no help there. Usually I just toss them into a bowl with either franks hot sauce and butter or a teriyaki sauce and give them a few quick flips to coat(after they're cooked). I will mention that if you want crispy skin you'll need to get your WSM temps over 325* or they'll be on the rubbery side.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
I will mention that if you want crispy skin you'll need to get your WSM temps over 325* or they'll be on the rubbery side.
Chris

i hate rubbery chicken skin. i use my smoker to get the wings cooked with smoke flavor, then finish in the kitchen oven or air fryer to crisp up the skin.

Jeff's original rub and BBQ sauce come to mind. It is a low salt mixture.
You of course can make your own rub and limit the salt content as you desire.

Here is an AP rub recipe you can try.

Sugarless rub:

2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon thyme

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

2 tablespoons cayenne

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper

Would work well on chicken IMHO.

Awesome, thank you so much!
I'm having an internal battle with myself about Jeff's rub and sauce. I just can't justify paying for a recipe without seeing it first.
I'll try out the rub you posted though, thanks!

A Simple BBQ sauce can be made with the following:

Ketchup
Honey
cider vinegar or lemon juice
Worcestershire
garlic
black pepper
cayenne

Adjust ingredients to taste.

I can give you more accurate measurements if needed.

Yes please!

I don't use a rub on wings - so I'm no help there. Usually I just toss them into a bowl with either franks hot sauce and butter or a teriyaki sauce and give them a few quick flips to coat(after they're cooked). I will mention that if you want crispy skin you'll need to get your WSM temps over 325* or they'll be on the rubbery side.

Chris

I'll be finishing them off on the grill to get a nice crispy skin :)

Okay here you go:

Basic BBQ sauce

1C Ketchup
2T Honey
1/4 c light brown sugar
2t Worcestershire sauce
1T Cider vinegar
1t granulated garlic
1t black pepper
cayenne to taste

Let me know how this works out for you...

You can edit any of these quantities to suit your personal taste.

Also, Jeff's recipes are spot on and worth the investment. It also helps maintain this site. IMHO

I do what Chris does these days. No rub. I baste with my sauce of choice a few minutes before I pull them. If you feel like you need to add a rub, a simple SPOG(salt, pepper, onion, garlic) works well, and you can adjust according to your taste. To keep from using a second grill to crisp the skin, you can remove the center section of your WSM, give the charcoal a good stir, wait a few minutes to let the charcoal come up to high temp, and put the grill grate with the wings on top of the charcoal basket until the skin is where you like it. Here is the sauce that has been my "go-to" lately:

1 cup yellow mustard
About 3/4 to 1 cup of apple cider vinegar(or regular vinegar)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of pepper

That mustard sauce recipe by 5GrillZ sounds good too if you like a mustard based sauce.
Mustard sauce works well on chicken. Bet that would be good with Dijon mustard.

I just do salt, pepper, garlic then cook the wings then like Chris throw them into a made up sauce. You can also do a few varieties this way. I usually do some in the Frank's and butter that as mentioned I also make a sauce out of Honey and parmesan cheese.

Salt and pepper, and smoke until almost done. Toss em in the deep fryer for 2-3 minutes until crisp, and then toss them in sauce (original Buffalo sauce was equal parts melted butter and Tabasco with a little sugar, iirc), but most of the suggestions above sound great as well.

What kind of sauce do you like? Maybe one of these interest you...JJ

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup
1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)
1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
2C Dark Brn Sugar
1T Tomato Paste
1T Your Rub
1-2tsp Liquid Smoke
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.
Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Honey Dijon Bubba Q Sauce.

1C Dijon Mustard
1C Honey
1/2C Yellow Mustard
1/2C Ketchup
1/2C Cider Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
1/2C Brown Sugar
1T Worcestershire
1T Paprika
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Granulated Onion
1 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Cumin
Mix, simmer 5 minutes and cool.
Makes about 4 Cups.

Yellow Bubba Q Juice / South Carolina Style

2C Yellow Mustard
1C Cider Vinegar
1/2-1C Brown Sugar
1-2T Sriracha or other Hot Sauce
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Gran. Garlic
1tsp Gran. Onion
1/2tsp Salt
1T Worcstershire
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Combine all and simmer to combine flavors. Reduce to desired thickness.
Makes 3 Cups.

Red Bubba Q Juice / Lexington NC Style

2C Cider Vinegar
1C Ketchup
1/4C Texas Pete or other Hot Sauce
1/2C Brown Sugar
1tsp Gran. Garlic
1tsp Gran, Onion
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Salt
1T Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne to Taste
Combine all and simmer 5 minutes to combine flavors.
Makes 3 Cups

Give this a shot...JJ

St. Louis Bubba Q Juice

1 1/2C Ketchup
1C Cider Vinegar
1/2C Water
1/4C Tomato Paste
1/4C Diced Roasted Red Pepper from a Jar (1-2 each)
1/4C Texas Pete or other Hot Sauce
1/2C Brown Sugar
2T Yellow Mustard
1tsp Gran. Garlic
1tsp Gran, Onion
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Salt
1T Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne to Taste

Combine all and simmer 10 minutes to combine flavors. Adjust sweetness or heat to your taste. Let cool and Puree.

Makes about 3 Cups.

White Bubba Q Juice /Alabama Style

3C Mayonnaise, Hellman's (Hey I'm a Jersey Boy!)
1C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4C Honey or 3T White Sugar
1T Horseradish, prepared
1tsp Celery Seed, ground
1tsp Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Onion Powder
1/2tsp Garlic Powder
1/2-1tsp Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Taste and adjust Sweet, Sour, Salt and Heat to your taste. Refrigerate at least two hours for flavors to meld. Divide, with half to be brushed on the meat during the last half hour of the cook and the remaining half to be used as a Dip at the table.

Makes about 4 1/2 Cups Sauce. NOTE: This makes a great Dressing for Cole Slaw as well.

Zesty Apricot Glaze n' Sauce

1T Veg Oil
1/3C Ketchup
1/4C Fine Diced Onion
1/4C Red Wine Vinegar
1/4C Honey
1T Soy Sauce
1tsp Grated Fresh Ginger
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1tsp Molasses
1tsp Smoked Paprika or regular
1/2tsp Dry Mustard mix in 1tsp Water, set aside.
1/2tsp Celery Salt
1/2tsp Black or White Pepper
1/4tsp Cayenne or Chipotle
1ea Clove Garlic, minced
12oz Apricot or Peach Preserves*

Place a small pan over low heat and add the 1T Oil.
Add the Onions, Ginger and Garlic. Sweat just until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine all but the Preserves in a Food Processor.
Puree until just combined.
Add the Preserves to the Processor and Pulse to combine.
Place all back in the pan you used to sweat the veg and gently simmer to reduce to desired thickness.
Adjust Sweetness and Seasoning, adding Sugar/Vinegar, Salt and Pepper or Cayenne to your Taste.
Makes about 2 1/2 Cups. Store in Refrigerator..
Note*...Just about any Fruit Preserves would work. Pineapple, Peach/Mango, Orange Marmalade, or mix 'em up....JJ

I am making some of that honey Dijon Bubba Q juice for my next chicken smoke. Looks fantastic!

Holy smokes! (Hehe, get it?). You guys are all amazing, thank you so much for the recipes, I’ll be busy writing them all down tonight so I never lose them.

I’ll let you know which one wins me over after I smoke my wings on Friday.

Reactions: tallbm and JC in GB
Don't forget...YOU are the Pit Master. You think the sauce needs, Heat, Sweet or to make you Pucker? Adjust it. Have Fun and WOW your guests!...JJ

Awesome, thank you so much!
I'm having an internal battle with myself about Jeff's rub and sauce. I just can't justify paying for a recipe without seeing it first.
I'll try out the rub you posted though, thanks!

Yes please!

I'll be finishing them off on the grill to get a nice crispy skin :)
I do like Jeff’s recipes (just did some awesome bacon wrapped thighs actually), but for ribs and wings I’ve used/liked Meatheads Memphis Dust that’s in public domain.

ok ok ok, I caved in and purchased Jeff's rub and sauce recipe. The rub is EXACTLY the same as my rub that I regularly use on my ribs (only double the measurements). LOL, go figure.

Will try making the BBQ sauce tonight.

Reactions: tallbm
ok ok ok, I caved in and purchased Jeff's rub and sauce recipe. The rub is EXACTLY the same as my rub that I regularly use on my ribs (only double the measurements). LOL, go figure.

I purchased it recently too, and kinda like you the one I used before was very close to Jeff's. As a smoking noob, I figured with all the information this website has and how helpful everyone is, I could support Jeff's efforts to keep it going. Plus I would have probably ruined way more then $20 worth of meat by now. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky