Chicken fried steak.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Although very similar, there are differences between Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak. One may be the breading (not positive about that) but one is the gravy. Chicken fried steak is served with a traditional white gravy. Country fried steak is typically served with a brown gravy. This all came up quite a while ago when I posted chicken fried steak fingers and somebody chimed in with the differences between the two. I just don't remember what they all were, only the gravy aspect.

Robert

Never knew that thanks for the info. I personally don't care if there is brown or white gravy on it I am eating it! Could be one of those things that that's just what its called regionally...kinda like around here everyone calls soda Coke..Doesn't matter what type of soda it is its all called Coke :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks Great Steve!!
Looks like Country Fried Steak!!
Or maybe Steak Fried Chicken. LOL
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Robert tx smoker tx smoker Just a FYI. A jaccard works well for tenderizing. But is not making a cube steak. Different processes.

Robert tx smoker tx smoker Just a FYI. A jaccard works well for tenderizing. But is not making a cube steak. Different processes.

Gotcha!! Thanks for the clarification. I just always try to get the meat tender and have been less concerned about it being cube steak. Makes perfect sense though as cube steak it traditional for CFS.

Robert

Gotcha!! Thanks for the clarification. I just always try to get the meat tender and have been less concerned about it being cube steak. Makes perfect sense though as cube steak it traditional for CFS.

Robert

All the same. I'm going to try CFS with the jaccard. Hell, it might even be better.

All the same. I'm going to try CFS with the jaccard. Hell, it might even be better.

Well, you can start with a crappy cut of meat like a rib eye and the jaccard will get it really tender. That's what I do :emoji_wink:

I think I should try one of each to see which one is better!

I like the way you think Ryan. Being of the analytical ilk, we both know it's for experimentation purposes only, right?

Covering the bases,
Robert

Well, you can start with a crappy cut of meat like a rib eye and the jaccard will get it really tender. That's what I do :emoji_wink:

I like the way you think Ryan. Being of the analytical ilk, we both know it's for experimentation purposes only, right?

Covering the bases,
Robert

Ok Robert. I know NY rib eyes don't make the cut as good as those Texan longhorns. But don't rub it in!!:emoji_wink:

Covering the bases,
Robert
Absolutely!

Ryan

Covering the bases,
Robert
Absolutely! Oooppps got the right one this time!

My bad, lol
Ryan

Looks great Steve. I'll concur with the rib-eye for CFS. I got a buddy who hand tenderized us some rib-eye CFS many years ago at work. I haven't had a CFS in many many years but I've eaten a bunch in my lifetime. The rib-eye version was totally next level stuff for sure.

Reactions: Steve H
Ok Robert. I know NY rib eyes don't make the cut as good as those Texan longhorns. But don't rub it in!!:emoji_wink:

Truth be told Steve, it has nothing to do with NY or TX, it's all Certified Piedmontese. I get these little 6 oz. rib eye cap steaks that are perfect for CFS. Well, they are just great little steaks period, but they do work well.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Steve this is a dish I've enjoyed all my life. My Grandma and mother taught me how to make it. Recently with the wife and I cutting back on the use of oil. I've started making mine on the Kettle. I still smother it with sausage gravy - some things you just can't give up.

Point for sure
Chris

Last edited:
Steve this is a dish I've enjoyed all my life. My Grandma and mother taught me how to make it. Recently with the wife and I cutting back on the use of oil. I've started making mine on the Kettle. I still smother it with sausage gravy - some things you just give up.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks! And thank you everyone for the likes!

That looks good! I haven't made it for quite awhile. I have a manual cuber I bought at Cabela's yrs ago that looks just like this one. It works pretty well but you have to be carefull not to use too thick a steak. I generally use boneless pork chops, they're great for sammiches too.

That looks good! I haven't made it for quite awhile. I have a manual cuber I bought at Cabela's yrs ago that looks just like this one. It works pretty well but you have to be carefull not to use too thick a steak. I generally use boneless pork chops, they're great for sammiches too.

Thanks! I might pull the trigger on one of these.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky