Chicken Drumsticks - Two Ways: Round 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good evening

I did up some chicken drumsticks this evening for dinner. Turned out great! After doing drumsticks the other week (Round 1), and these being a success, drummies are starting to be an easy favorite of ours.

Total cook time was about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Started by drying off the drumsticks, dusting with a really light coat of baking powder, and then air drying on a rack on the fridge about 7:00 AM this morning.

Went on the Traeger set at 250* at 3:30 PM. Running Signature Blend pellets. One set was seasoned with Traeger Pork and Poultry rub, and the other set was left naked. Cranked up the temp to 350* at 4:45 PM, and then pulled them off at 5:15 PM.

Naked wings got hit with some Kosmos Garlic Parm wing dust. Could have went heavier, but really really good nonetheless.

Skin was fairly crispy. Not sure how much the baking powder helped, and want to try a heavier layer next time.

IMG_1002.JPG

Reactions: pc farmer
Those look fantastic . The Baking powder does help . I can see the effects of it in your pics . I have even done them with just ap flour . The baking powder affects the PH of the skin . I think the flour soaks up moisture .
I have done alot of test cooks on chicken . I see things in your pics that tell me you nailed it .
Nice cook , I know those were good .

They look great. Never heard of baking powder used. I need to try that

Those look fantastic . The Baking powder does help . I can see the effects of it in your pics . I have even done them with just ap flour . The baking powder affects the PH of the skin . I think the flour soaks up moisture .
I have done alot of test cooks on chicken . I see things in your pics that tell me you nailed it .
Nice cook , I know those were good .

Thank you! How much baking powder do you recommend? Do you mix it with salt, anything, or just alone?

I didn't really have a plan - just sprinkled a little on. I'm thinking I could have went heavier with it.

I use it for the most part on wings . I lay the wings out on a tray . Season them up , and then coat with baking powder . Flip and repeat . Not to much , like I said I think you nailed it . I just sprinkle it on , then rub it to cover .

I leave it sit in the fridge for awhile to dry .

Does the baking powder impart any weird flavor to the chicken?

I could not taste anything different from it. I didn't go very heavy on it, though. From what I've seen from others, baking powder is a fairly common trick to get crispier skin.

I use it for the most part on wings . I lay the wings out on a tray . Season them up , and then coat with baking powder . Flip and repeat . Not to much , like I said I think you nailed it . I just sprinkle it on , then rub it to cover .

I leave it sit in the fridge for awhile to dry .

Awesome - thank you! I think I may try a little more next time.

I did legs tonight myself . I used a 14 " wsm no water tray . I dry brined them with steak seasoning . They came out great . Try a dry brine next time .

I did legs tonight myself . I used a 14 " wsm no water tray . I dry brined them with steak seasoning . They came out great . Try a dry brine next time .

Educate me - how did you dry brine them? What did you use (just the steak seasoning)? Did you also incorporate baking powder?

I used a Canadian steak seasoning , ( Montreal steak ) They also make a chicken version . It's a course seasoning . I coat the chicken parts , and put in the fridge for a few hours , to over night . These were so juicy ( no injection , no wet brine ) that they were dripping when bit into . You can use what ever . Salt , pepper and whatever else . Leave it sit uncovered in the fridge so the salt can do it's thing .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky