Chicken Divan...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...or my version, anyway. The usual recipe calls for boneless/skinless chicken breast either pan fried or baked. Well I prefer boneless/skinless thighs, but I wanted them grilled or smoked. So fire up the grill, a little salt & pepper, and on they went on indirect heat to get some smoke. I added a couple of cherry splits to the lump to increase the smokiness of the thighs. Once smoked, I cut them into bite size pieces. No sampling going on here...:emoji_wink:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

A few fresh broccoli florets and a head of cauliflower cut into bite size pieces. Steamed for 2-3 minutes and then drained...
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg

Next I mixed 2 small cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup with about a 1 1/2 cups of extra sharp cheddar, a cup of Gruyere, and a half cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese in a bowl. I added in about 2 1/ 2 cups of half & half. Mixed it all together well...
thumbnail (3).jpg

I sauted about a pound of sliced mushrooms in a good drizzle of EVOO and about 2 TBSP of unsalted butter, stirring occasionally. I let them go until they were fairly brown and had that earthy aroma...
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (13).jpg

Now mix the mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower together in a baking pan and pour the soup/cheese mixture over it. Stir to combine. I melted a stick unsalted butter and stirred in about a cup or so of panko bread crumbs. This was spread over the top along with a handful more of the cheddar...
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg

Into a 400℉ oven uncovered until it gets bubbly and the cheese on top gets a little color, about 45 minutes...
thumbnail (10).jpg

Now it's time to eat. Served with a salad...
thumbnail (11).jpg

The smokiness of the thighs really came through in this dish, but wasn't overwhelming. I did not add any seasoning other than what was on the thighs when I smoked them. Maybe could've added some more pepper, but with all the cheese, I think that it was salty enough.

Edit to say that the whole dish could be cooked on the smoker after putting it all together.

Last edited:
Never had it. Was not a Veggie eater as a kid. Looks good to me now...JJ

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Very nice meal and a beautifully presented post. You only left out one important aspect: where does the line start for me to get some of that?? :emoji_laughing: Excellent job.

Robert

Beautiful!
Looks like a lot of work but it's supposed to get into the 90s again and I'll be looking for inside projects.
As a bonus, I happen to have boneless skinless thighs in the freezer :-)
Fine post!

Another great idea! I too have a mess of chicken thighs in the freezer. I'll never loose any weight at this rate. But wait it's OK it has vegetables in it so that makes it diet.

• Haha
Beautiful!
Looks like a lot of work but it's supposed to get into the 90s again and I'll be looking for inside projects.
As a bonus, I happen to have boneless skinless thighs in the freezer :-)
Fine post!
Thank you, smokey. It's really not much work if you pre-cook the chicken in the house, but the smoke taste definitely makes it better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky