Chicken BOGO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HHYak

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Shopping yesterday I ran into some thighs and "party wings" that were buy one get one free and I couldn't resist an excuse to get some grill time in. I've been wanting to do wings for a while now.

Got home, preheated the grill to 350 and got to work on prepping the wings. I melted some butter and seasoned half with SPOG (2122 - wife and kids dont like pepper much) and the other half with just Tony's. The butter was a bit tricky to work with since it didn't stay melted for long once it hit the cold chicken. I am thinking about trying olive oil next time.

IMG_0357.JPG

Once the wings were ready I set the temp to 300 and added the wings. At the 30 min mark I brushed most of them with some apple juice (not sure that it helped or hurt) and brushed some Trader Joe's Carolina sauce on a few of each kind. I ended up pulling them just under the hour mark.

LLZJ6032.JPG

Straight off the grill they were outstanding. Nice crispy skin with great flavor. After they cooled down a bit the skin started slowly loosing its crispiness but still had good flavor.

Today is the day for my first thigh cook. I think I am going to pull the skin for this cook just to see how it goes. The plan is to rub them here shortly and put them on at 250 until they hit an IT of 180.

I'm also throwing in a curve ball just for fun. I threw one thigh in with some D.A.T Sauce this morning to marinate, we shall see how it goes...
IMG_0373.JPG

Edit: The thighs turned out pretty decent. I will definitely leave the skin on next time. I used Jeff's Texas rub for the first time and I was very pleased with it.
IMG_0376[1].JPG IMG_0384[1].JPG IMG_0385[1].JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky